Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dust collector hose sourcing- connectors for various sizes?

dust collector hose sourcing- connectors for various sizes?

Finishing up the hose runs, but having a problem trying to find the connector/reducer for going from say- 4" to any smaller size hose. I have a 1 1/2" OD port on the SCMS as well as on the router pickup. I currently have 4" hose, and not sure about best/easiest and reasonably priced options for connecting?
    Also wanted top have a small vacuum like brush attachment for general table/bench dust cleanup. Thought might be easiest if first reduced to a 2 1/2-3" hose? What do y'all use? TIA for any/all suggestions!
    Dave

Peachtree Woodworking should have all the fittings and adapters you need if you go mail order. I would like to warn you that the typical dust collector will perform quite poorly if you reduce the air flow inlet as you plan. Even the cheapest shop vacuum will probably outperform it by a significant margin using a 1-1/2 or 2-1/2 inch hose. Dust collectors work on volume, not negative pressure. It will probably still work but not nearly as well as you might expect from a 1-1/2 or 3 hp dust collector.

Dave,

I have a couple of kits I bought from Rockler, and they have met most of my needs:

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-dust...-port-tool-set

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-u...-port-hose-kit

Rockler also sells a pretty wide variety of individual adapters/reducers that might be more cost-effective if you have a few specific sizes that you need. I'm sure there are plenty of other sources, but Rockler is convenient for me.

Edited to add:

I also use a few flexible PVC fittings like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-2...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Gary Ragatz; 11-10-2019 at 1:55 PM.

Grizzly and Rockler have a pretty good selection of fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Peachtree Woodworking should have all the fittings and adapters you need if you go mail order. I would like to warn you that the typical dust collector will perform quite poorly if you reduce the air flow inlet as you plan. Even the cheapest shop vacuum will probably outperform it by a significant margin using a 1-1/2 or 2-1/2 inch hose. Dust collectors work on volume, not negative pressure. It will probably still work but not nearly as well as you might expect from a 1-1/2 or 3 hp dust collector.

Thanks Art, I'll look at what they have. I very appreciate the input I am staying with 6" large branches and 4" minimum size hose except for two tools that have a small port pickup at one point. And my plan there is to run a 5" line to the back of the large hood behind the SCMS to pickup majority, with a separate line drawing the 1 1/2" hose for the guard dust suckup. Does someone do something different than this? If it is not a solution that works, I guess I could add a shop vac, but after buiilding a sound proof room for DC sure would hate to negate that with a loud vac back in the main shop area.

Blog Entries
    I use a short whip of 2-1/2” or smaller hose for smaller collection points since the larger hose can be clumsy. Peachtree has 2-1/2” hose at a good price. I bought 50’ on sale and have been using pieces of it for various things for years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

An alternative source might be your local P&H distributor. Take what you hope to connect and ask to go through the various sizes of no-hub and mission bands etc.

I have a 2 1/2'' hose on a floor sweep set-up. It does not work very well and i will be replacing it with a 4'' hose soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I have a 2 1/2'' hose on a floor sweep set-up. It does not work very well and i will be replacing it with a 4'' hose soon.

I can understand that ;-) Smaller ports really benefit from a vaccuum versus a DC. They both move air but, are different machines. I get buried in all the math and science of spoil collection but, have a couple of Black Friday Ridgid shop vacs with Dust Deputy setups for powered hand tools, the drill press, spindle/disc sander and my smaller bandsaw. I do plan to open up my tablesaw, jointer, planer, etc to 6" during my current shop re-build. Many folks have reported good up-ticks in performance from this step alone (vesus replacing the current DC).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Dave,
    I have gotten most of my fittings and pipe from air handling (airhand.com). They have everything.
    Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Be sure you're using pre-separation (cyclone or other separator before the blower) with a floor sweep. You don't want one if the material being picked up has to pass through the impeller as any metal grabbed could spark.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim I have a Grizzly 5 hp cyclone . I set up a floor sweep drop and put a y fitting and additional blast gate on it for the hose -floor sweep setup. It is a four inch fitting and for some reason I figured 2.5 hose would work so I used a 4" to 2.5" reducer ,it does not work very well at all. I do not want to sweep,would rather suck up the dust to avoid raising it in the air. So it sits until I have $250 that I do not need for other stuff at my shop.

I have three floor sweeps and am a believer. Much better than trying to do real cleaning with a dust pan or a shop vac! I only added the note about pre-separation to insure that it was clear that floor sweeps should only be used with pre-separation in place. Two of my floor sweeps are on 5" drops and one is on a 4" drop. The most accessible is the latter and it's at the back corner of my CNC machine which is currently the biggest producer of "stuff" that needs to be swept up, because even with good dust collection at the source, a lot of dust and chips remain and get blown off the machine to be cleaned up manually from time to time.

But I absolutely agree that getting the dust and chips at the source is ALWAYS the best thing.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    An alternative source might be your local P&H distributor. Take what you hope to connect and ask to go through the various sizes of no-hub and mission bands etc.

P&H ?

More words to make the minimum count are down here to be ignored

Plumbing and Heating....
    --