Thread: what a beast!

Question what a beast!

I am new here, first post. I live in Tn close to smoky mtns...I have been reading this forum, actually studying, and I appreciate all the info that has been shared from you all. I have been looking for a bandsaw. I know what I want, thanks to you guys, but I may have to settle for less as far as finances go. While searching I just saw this, didnt know any such thing existed and have no idea what it would be for. Just want to share it, looks dangerous.

Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-09-2019 at 4:32 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to off-site sale...not permitted by TOS

Hi, And welcome. It's a pin router, for template routing, they were very popular years ago but have been replaced by CNC routers for the most part. So you can get them pretty cheap and they are great machines, If you have a use for them and the power and space for one. Oh and by the way...everything in the workshop is dangerous, including bandsaws.

Yes, it's a pin router. These got a lot more use before CNC came into the woodworking arena because of their ability to router internal to components with a template beneath the workpiece.

Jim

----
    BTW, many folks are not going to be able to see the photo because it's hosted on Facebook...only Facebook account holders can view the image. Since I could not leave the direct link to the sale add per our policies in the TOS (Terms of Service), only the photo could be linked to here.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    it's a pin router.
    Yes. I used one much like that at the Berea College woodworking department in the late '60s. I made a lot of marble games with it. The board was mounted on a template with a bunch of holes in the bottom, one for each marble position. The template was moved until the pin fit into a hole. A ball end mill cut a concavity at each position. Used for marble games the machine was a pussycat unless you happened to stick your finger into the cutter. (No, I didn't do that!)

Where near the Smokys are you? I'm up the road, just outside of Clinton. If you are at all interested in woodturning or just need a few things cut on a bandsaw give a holler and come visit the arm. (I have five bandsaws depending on how I count.) And welcome to the forum!

JKJ

Pretty much a boat anchor these days. My friend hauled one ten times better than that one to the scrap yard. No one local interested in putting 2,000 pounds of cast iron in their shop to spin a router bit. He was rewarded with the operator at the scrap yard grabbing it with a huge magnet and throwing it through the air. Made one hell of a landing!

I had one in the 90’s, i made boat loads of cash making all sorts of parts for others, well i should say the $10hr employee i paid made me boatloads of cash...

Im in Seymour and thank you for the offer. Clinton is a nice place. I like working with wood..have some tools, table saws, planer, but just a very small rinky-dink bandsaw. I have been looking, and while looking and trying to decide what I want, somewhat, I have learned so much. Ive also been looking for a jointer and I saw and old walker turner listed in Loudon for $50. I didnt act right away, it was gone within the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I had one in the 90’s, i made boat loads of cash making all sorts of parts for others, well i should say the $10hr employee i paid made me boatloads of cash...
    Today you could make 5 times the boat loads of cash with a cnc since the low cost operator could also be doing something else while the machine ran.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Today you could make 5 times the boat loads of cash with a cnc since the low cost operator could also be doing something else while the machine ran.
    Except I can buy 20+ scm R9s and have each one pounding out parts. A pin router is an awesome machine in the right hands.

These pin routers were a staple in the electric guitar industry, but have been supplanted by CNC with most makers at this point for speed, precision and safety.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a uncle that I am very close to. He builds large exhibits for mostly pharmaceutical companies. A fair amount of the work is curved and or radiuses. His guys build everything with a pin router, hand held routers, regular cabinet saws, a small and large bandsaw and a radial arm saw.

And he makes very very very good money.

One of his guys of like 30myears did take a finger tip of on it a couple years ago though. Non the less that machine still makes him money.

Yeah, pin routers are still big money makers in the right environment. the R9s were the top of the heap. I have two with tilting heads, vacuum hold downs, power feed and tables that move for under cuts.

Same thing with pattern mills, not many still being run, but the ones that are running are running for a reason, because they make money in ways that is either quicker or easier that programming something for simple tasks.
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 11-10-2019 at 5:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Except I can buy 20+ scm R9s and have each one pounding out parts. A pin router is an awesome machine in the right hands.
    Labor must be incredibly cheap in your area. Can't say I ever heard a shop owner today say he'd rather have 20 employees vs a CNC router.

Labor must be incredibly cheap in your area. Can't say I ever heard a shop owner today say he'd rather have 20 employees vs a CNC router.
    It's called redundancy, like having 4 or more shapers set up, a couple moulders, 3 tenoners, etc. If a person has the need and work for pin routers, having multiples set up for different tasks, patterns, etc. makes sense.

Yes, labor is still fairly cheap here in IN.

Yea, if that CNC is running all the time. And that "low cost operator" may be able to stand there and watch/pick parts but it takes "Higher cost" employee/s to actually make it work from programming to tooling to maint.

Not saying with the right type of work and quantity a CNC doesn't make sense it obviously can/does, just saying the idea that a low cost operator and a CNC is the magic trick to make "boat loads" is not necessarily the case.

Also not sure what your idea is of "boat loads" of cash are but this is not the type of business that makes "boat loads" of cash, you can make cash just not "boat loads" there are easier ways to do that...