Thread: HVLP spray over can primer?

HVLP spray over can primer?

I have a small project to paint but has too many nooks and crannies to brush effectively. Any reason I can’t use a rattle can of primer before I spray latex with HVLP so I don’t have to go through trouble of cleanup twice?

No reason at all as long as the primer you choose is compatible with your water borne top coats. I sometimes use spray-bomb "auto" primer on small projects for convenience in that step and have had no adhesion issue top coating with the water borne products I use for finishing as long as the primer is fully cured. Due note the ventilation requirements for the primer...not always a good thing to use indoors and I see you're in a very "warm" area at this time of the year...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Romalia View Post
    I have a small project to paint but has too many nooks and crannies to brush effectively. Any reason I can’t use a rattle can of primer before I spray latex with HVLP so I don’t have to go through trouble of cleanup twice?
    Don't use rattle can primer intended for automotive type paint. Latex wouldn't adhere to it. You could use Kilz primer in a spray can.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Romalia View Post
    I noticed "spray latex with HVLP". You might want to experiment with that though I guess it depends on your definition of "latex". Latex to me means house paint which requires a fair bit of thinning in order to work in an HVLP unit. There are other finishes more suitable for spraying.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    Don't use rattle can primer intended for automotive type paint. Latex wouldn't adhere to it. You could use Kilz primer in a spray can.
    I don't necessarily agree with this and from direct experience. It is, however, important to test the specific products together to insure they work well together.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone for the replies. And, yes Jim, I am definitely nearing the end of my spraying season! A little earlier than I had hoped for though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with this and from direct experience. It is, however, important to test the specific products together to insure they work well together.
    The reason I said that is much of the rattle can paint intended to be used for automotive paints is lacquer based. I wouldn't want to put latex paint over any lacquer product.