Thread: Help me fix stupid

Help me fix stupid

I had some water damage to a bathroom floor and had to rip everything out around the toilet. I removed the toilet and was too lazy to look for something to plug the pipe right away. I think you know where this is going. Predictably, I got debris in the pipe. I decided to remove it with my shop vac. When I tried to extract the shop vac it was stuck in the elbow. Well, I decided the best thing to do was to just pull harder, which resulted in ripping the hose and leaving several inches of it stuck in the elbow. I have tried long reach pliers amd bent coat hangers with no luck. I would very much like to avoid cutting the pipe because I have no good way to get in there with a saw. Thoughts?

Hmmm, well, since it's already ruined, perhaps a heat gun will soften the hose enough to let you pull it out a little at a time? But have to be careful to heat the hose mostly and not the pipe. Directing the hot air into the hose might do the trick....

The good news is that the heat gun definitely softened the remnant of hose. The bad news is that it fell further into the pipe. I believe a reciprocating saw is in my near future. I am looking at two possibilities. One if that I disconnect some wires and remove some blocking so I can get the saw into the floor. The other is that I push the piece of hose down to the next junction then open up the pipe in the basement and reach up with some electrical fish rods to try to retrieve it. The third option is that I try the latter and it does not work so I do the former anyway.

Well rats. So how about using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...a-420978968769

Might let you cut the pipe without moving a bunch of stuff.

Blog Entries
    If you can get to the pipe downstairs (PVC I presume?) just cut out a section, reach in and pull it out wearing gloves and put it back together with two Fernco rubber connectors.
    NOW you tell me...

Have you tried an electricians fishing rod. They normally come with a hook and are somewhat flexible and strong.
    You could get it to go through the hose and hook it once it goes all the way through. From there you just pull really hard.

Here's what I'm talking about.
    https://amzn.to/2K41o2q
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

I’m assuming it’s not cast iron?

How deep is it? I have some long curved hemostats that I use for this kind of stuff. Something like this.

What was the debris that started all this? Unless it was large blocks of wood or tools I can't picture the debris not just flushing out when the toilet is used. A vacuum hose is normally a spiral. Maybe you could sort of unscrew it.

If all else fails and you know there is debris that would cause a blockage I don't believe you have a choice but to cut the pipe. It's not as hard as you think to put in new drain pipe. Even if it's cast iron they make a rubber joint you can make the transition for cast to pvc. It just clamps on like a radiator hose on a car.

Before you cut the pipe make sure it is well supported on both ends. This is both to hold up the weight and to establish the slope for the reinstall. You have to cut the pipe in two places so there is enough room to reach inside and pull it out.
    To install the toilet cut a drinking straw in 1/3+2/3 and put them over the flange bolts. That way you only have to align one bolt at a time as you set the toilet down.
    Bill D.

PS: Mcdonalds has the strongest straws which are the right size. Other brands may work.
    In California you have to ask for straws now, due to state law.

Maybe you should call a plumber... just saying..

I'm with mark on this one,,,

Thanks, guys. I cut the drain pipe and was able to pull the piece of hose out fairly easily with just one cut. I had to use a reciprocating saw, which is not my favorite way to cut pipes I am not ripping out. I had to remove some blocking that has been put in to support the old floor, but that will be easy to replace. I am a little concerned with having room to fit the union on. I'll pick up the union today and see how it goes. It is ABS so it is somewhat flexible.