Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8" dwv fitting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I'm building a new home for my CV 1800. A shed 6' away from the shop. I have a number of soundproofing on their way. Both of Green Glues in the tubes, as well as some Mass loaded vinyl.
    Pricy, yes. But what's left of my hearing is worth a little extra.

On a lighter note, I just thought of an idea to make headwear that covers the ears out of MLV.
    It would have the additional benefit of protecting your head from flying objects.
    Bill, in this situation, mass loaded vinyl is a waste of money. It's much cheaper to just add another layer of drywall. The place for mass loaded vinyl is where space is at a premium, or where there are irregular shapes to conform to , like in a car interior.

Staggered studs, lots of mass and some absorbent insulation like mineral wool, or even fiberglass will do the trick. And Greenglue between the layers of drywall.

Oh, and be sure to post pics of you modelling your new MLV head gear

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Oh, and be sure to post pics of you modelling your new MLV head gear
    I think the idea has merit.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-14-2019 at 5:33 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I think the idea has merit.
    I suspect that some kind of MLV is used in some ear protection.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jim.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone use this muffler ?
    https://airhand.com/product/duct-silencer/

Blog Entries
    I wish I'd used 2 2x4 sills. I read that the additional space between the walls would improve noise levels outside the shed. I may still add a separate 2x4 sill with soundproof ing material between it and the outside wall.
    What I'd like opinions on is an idea that came to me late last night- 2 different thicknesses of sheet rock/OSB or dw together with green glue compound, then simply hang these sections close to the inside wall from the trusses, further separating it from the rest of the wall.
    I also intend to add some type of damping on the ends of the inside wall studs. Just don't know what yet. Perhaps the products sold to wrap outlet boxes.
    I appreciate everyone's input very much.

Blog Entries
    I forgot to add that the idea includes using soundproofing door sweeps along the bottoms. These could be removed in the event I need additional room around the CV for maintenance.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 11-17-2019 at 1:59 PM.

My cyclone is in my store room, and I vent outside. I made a 8" exterior vent, looks like a huge dryer vent, and it pushes the air toward the ground. Just having the DC in the storage room helps a load with the noise.

Blog Entries
    Who has the best prices on both 6"and 8" sewer/drain fittings.
    And do you recommend the duct pieces that split a 6" into 2 4" duct? Is CV's unit better than "generic" copies?

Are they worth the extra cost of just one piece as opposed to separate 4" drops?

Blog Entries
    Has anyone used lead sheets for soundproofing?
    I saw an add for a rubber or foam product that held a sheet of very thin layer of lead.
    But I lost the link.
    Pricy, but if it's as good as they claim, saving the cost money spent on alternatives, saving space for more storage, as well.

It was once widely used. I don't know if mass loaded vinyl beat it on price,or if they just took lead off market. I think the
    product you mention is mainly used in cars. Don't forget the tip I sent by PM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    It was once widely used. I don't know if mass loaded vinyl beat it on price,or if they just took lead off market. I think the
    product you mention is mainly used in cars. Don't forget the tip I sent by PM
    I haven't forgotten, Mel. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Seems to me, throughout 6" shop duct work, that dwv street fittings into the bell end of pipe would create less turbulence than into another end of a fitting of the same size.