Thread: 12" Fowler calipers

12" Fowler calipers

I didn't see a machinist forum to ask questions so I decided to post here. If this is bad the administrator can delete or delete this post.<br>I recently inherited these calipers. They are Fowler brand and 12". I am posting pictures in hopes someone can help fill me in on them.<br><br>I have a 9" set made by Mitutoyo. I use them constantly. This set is a little different.<br><br>Questions There two locking screws on top of this one (why). There is a roller underneath that I would think is for fine adjustments, but the only thing it does is if you tighten it, it will lock the calipers. Does anybody know what model number these are?&nbsp;<br>Then what do you think these are worth?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dorworth View Post
    I didn't see a machinist forum to ask questions so I decided to post here. If this is bad the administrator can delete or delete this post.<br>I recently inherited these calipers. They are Fowler brand and 12". I am posting pictures in hopes someone can help fill me in on them.<br><br>I have a 9" set made by Mitutoyo. I use them constantly. This set is a little different.<br><br>Questions There two locking screws on top of this one (why). There is a roller underneath that I would think is for fine adjustments, but the only thing it does is if you tighten it, it will lock the calipers. Does anybody know what model number these are? <br>Then what do you think these are worth?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Bruce
    Bruce,

The roller is a fine adjustment - usually you lock down the knob above and keep the other knob loose and turn the roller adjustment.
    These seem unusual for general purpose digital calipers since they don't have the usual inside measurement points at the top.
    The label says "com" - does it have an RS-232 port somewhere behind a cover? I have a Mitutoyo like that intended for a special industrial application where it was connected to a data logging computer (the com port on mine didn't work so they were tossed out.)
    As for the value, I don't have a clue. I assume you searched the numbers on these and came up empty which might indicate they are not current Fowler product.
    Fowler is a good brand but older calipers are not usually very valuable. Some one gave me a high end Starrett caliper that was probably very expensive when new - not so much now.
    If you want to try selling them, maybe post on Classifieds and ask for an offer.

I can't see the picture but Fowler is a quality brand.
    The 2 screws on top are to adjust the tension so the carrier slides easily. Don't mess with them unless needed. The roller underneath is a fine adjustment. It does not lock the Caliper.

Looking at the picture on the right.
    there are actually 2 sections with a thumb screw in-between the 2 sections for fine tuning.
    The top screws are locks. You turn the one on the right to lock that section. then the thumb screw on the bottom will be the fine adjustment between the 2 sections used to move the moveable jaw and give precise readings.
    For inside dimensions, you us the tip, it is rounded and should have a pre-set to account for the thickness of the tips.
    I use to use this type all the time in a go/no go setting. and for statistical collection.

John, you are absolutely correct on the fine adjustment. When I didn't have the top knob tight the knob would just spin until it was all the way in and then would lock. You also answered the question why there are two knobs on top. Thank you, it all makes sense now.
    Router table, and more.
    PhotoShop 7,

Paul,you are correct on all issues. For inside measurements there is a set button. If you press it once after you zero tool it will add .5 to the display. This is the thickness of the jaws.

THanks
    Bruce
    Router table, and more.
    PhotoShop 7,

Actually the two next comments explained the two top knobs. Once you get close to your measurement you lock the knob on the right. You now can use the fine adjustment. If you want to lock you measurement you tighten the knob on the left.

Thanks
    Router table, and more.
    PhotoShop 7,