Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Review: Bora PM 2700 expandable roller stand

Quick Review: Bora PM 2700 expandable roller stand

I needed a better way to deal with long (12-14') stock at the bandsaw, jointer and planer. For my mantel project I need to work with stock that long. I have a couple of single roller stands I have used in the past but wanted something better, especially for the jointer. Now I know a short bed jointer can't really flatten stock that long, but it gets it close enough for me to finish with a plane.

So I picked up a couple Bora PM-2700 expandable roller stands. Here it is fully retracted:

DSC_0149a.jpg

And here it is fully expanded. The rollers stay at the same height regardless of how much you expand it. It expands from just under 15" to 50" in length. It expands easily and smoothly and can even be curved; not sure why you would want to do that:

DSC_0150a.jpg

As you can see, each leg is independently adjustable in height. There is a scale on each leg in inches and cm. The scale tells you how far each leg is extended, but not how high the rollers are which would be more helpful I think. Bora says it is adjustable from 23" to 36"; I think it actually goes a little higher than that.

Unfortunately, Even at full height it is not quite tall enough for the 18BX bandsaw, so I made a set of blocks to raise it another 3 inches or so. They work ok, but I will work out something that attaches to the legs more permanently in the future. Because my shop floor is not perfectly flat and level, adjusting the height using the scales on the legs is not very practical, so I made a set of T-Bars out of plywood. I clamp them to the bandsaw table as you can see below, and then it is a simple matter to lift one end of the rollers up tight against the T-bar, loosen the two leg knobs on that end, and let the legs fall to the right setting and then retighten the knobs. Then repeat at the other end. Just takes a minute or two and resulting alignment is plenty good enough for ripping rough lumber. I'd probably take a little more care if I was sawing finished stock. Here's a pic showing the T-bars in place. They are clamped to the table at both front and back of the table so I can press the rollers tight to the T-bar while doing the alignment without lifting the end of the T-bars.

DSC_0151a.jpg

Finally, here's a pic showing the sets of stands all lined up and ready for use:

DSC_0152a.jpg

All in all, I'm happy with this product and this solution. They are so much more stable than the single roller stands and offer much more support. The stands don't take up that much space when retracted. Really, about the same footprint as a single roller stand with tripod legs. They are well made and solid (bora says they can support 300 lb. I didn't test it, but I believe it). Of course I would love to have permanent infeed and outfeed tables, but I don't have the space, nor do I have more than occasional need for them. I was worried that they would take a lot of time to align to machine tables, but with the T-Bars it really is fast an easy. One small gripe: The threads on the caster stems are not imperial. They're not metric. They're British Standard Wentworth, BSW 1/2-12! I know this because I was going to bolt on the extension blocks and couldn't find a bolt that fit, so I got out my thread gauges and checked them.

One last point: I was expecting a box of parts, IKEA style, but they came fully assembled except for sliding in the leg extensions and screwing on the casters. That was a pleasant surprise.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 11-08-2019 at 9:30 PM.

Lordy! I didn't know British Standard Wentworth was still used for anything manufactured as new today. The only place I've ever seen it used was on classic Jags and MGs. Great review!

Bora makes some nice products...I recently bought one of their miter saw stands to replace the "built in" I demolished and move the miter saw upstairs where my lumber is stored. Very nice product for the money. Those roller stands look like they are also well designed. (Do the online registration and they will send you a very nice spring clamp for free) I'd buy other Bora products for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks you for the review, I've got a lot of 10' Basswood I need to dimension and rip.

One of these will be very handy, going to buy one today.

I measured the table height on my bandsaw, as with yours, this support would be a couple of inches too low, so I ordered a cheap set of bed 4" risers.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 11-09-2019 at 4:13 PM.

Got mine yesterday from Woodcraft, mine is a SuperMax brand, $20 cheaper, but the same specs, height, length and width, although it states it's rated at 200lbs vs 300lbs for the PortaMax. The only thing that looks different to me is the paint.

This is going to come in handy as I dimension the Basswood laying down behind it.

Sure looks identical except for color as you say. Right down to the red/white pinch warning label. If you get a minute, check and see if you have the wonky threads on the casters. See if a standard 1/2-13 bolt will screw in. If it goes in a little then jams, you probably have 1/2-12 threads too.

See if a standard 1/2-13 bolt will screw in. If it goes in a little then jams, you probably have 1/2-12 threads too.
    Will Do. I'm going to see if I can extend the height with some threaded rod and a coupler.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 11-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Yes mine has the 1/2-12 threads.

Chris, thanks for checking.

Since a screw on extension isn't practical given the odd thread (although I could drill out and retap for 9/16), I thought I would just make booties.....a 2 1/2 square maybe 6" long with a hole drilled so the end of the leg, minus caster) slips in the hole. Then secure with a screw through the side of the booty. The things are light enough to move without the casters and I only need 2-3 inches more height.

I would just make new leg pieces. Looks like standard square steel. WHat size is the leg extension tube?
    It may be metric so you have to use inch and maybe glue shims to two sides. If is needed 3" more length I would make it 6" longer to maintain enough engagement
    1/2-12 seems a common size according to ebay. I bet they are all British Standard Whitworth even if they do not say so. It is cheaper to buy one tap then to replace all four casters for new legs.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-11-2019 at 9:44 AM.

I've ordered a 1/2"-12 BSW tap from Amazon. now I need to find somewhere that has 1/2"-12 threaded rod, for a reasonable price or a Tap that will fit my current tap holders.

Here's a couple of photos of the roller support on a set of 3" bed risers ($14 from Amazon). The legs are set at 13" of extension,39 3/4" working height. It feels stable enough to function.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I've ordered a 1/2"-12 BSW tap from Amazon. now I need to find somewhere that has 1/2"-12 threaded rod, for a reasonable price or a Tap that will fit my current tap holders.
    McMaster Carr? They tend to have "lots of things"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would just make new leg pieces. Looks like standard square steel. WHat size is the leg extension tube?
    They are 3.4cm, not a standard here or in metric. 1.25 would probably work, but then I'd have to weld in end pieces and replace the scales on all 8 legs. A lot easier to make some booties I think.

Jim, McMaster only has 1/2-13 or 1/2-20. Grainger has 1/2-12 rod for $26 for a 12" long piece! Sticking with booties.

I've ordered a 1/2"-12 die from Amazon. I just need to get a length of 1"dia aluminum rod (McMaster-Carr) and then I can make some leg extensions that will work with the OEM casters. I'll get two 24" lengths so I can make two sets of 6", so Paul, I'll send you a set if I'm successful.