Thread: Double -sided Woodturners Tape

Double -sided Woodturners Tape

I recently bought some double-sided wood-turners tape that is extremely hard to peel the vinyl backing off of. The best method I found that worked was to rub the heck out of it to help stretch the vinyl and them score across he tape and then use my utility knife blade and peel. It was time consuming and tiresome. Took me longer getting the backing off than the actual turn time. Frustrating to say the least.
    What is y'all's recommendations for this problem? Would heating the backing help? Or should I try and find another source of tape with a different material for backing?
    Help please.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I also had the same trouble with DS tape. Also it seemed to leave a lot of glue residue to remove. Now I use hot glue.

I use a pin vise with a sewing needle to pick up the corner of the backing material. Works well for me.

When applying the tape, leave it attached to the roll. Then peel the backing back. Cut the tape, leaving the backing attached to the roll. Then trim the backing so it's sticks past the end of the tape. Then you can grab the backing and will be able to it back the next time you use it.

You might try heating the tape with a hair drier. Usually tape frees up from a little heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    I recently bought some double-sided wood-turners tape that is extremely hard to peel the vinyl backing off of. The best method I found that worked was to rub the heck out of it to help stretch the vinyl and them score across he tape and then use my utility knife blade and peel. It was time consuming and tiresome. Took me longer getting the backing off than the actual turn time. Frustrating to say the least.
    What is y'all's recommendations for this problem? Would heating the backing help? Or should I try and find another source of tape with a different material for backing?
    Help please.
    I use a scalpel to lift a corner. So far, it's always worked easily. Maybe your tape is different. Is is fresh?

Bill has it. I had the same issue as the OP, but then called the retailer LV, and asked about it. They told me to always leave the backing longer than the sticky part. This works like a charm.

Not to take this off topic too far, but I've found that using blue tape on both parts of the joint, then gluing the tape together with CA glue works as well as double sided tape as far as holding goes and it peels off cleaning and much easier.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I use the sharp corner on my utility knife blade to peel it back. I have been using a lot of the stuff recently in laying out a router template.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-09-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am cheap and use Duck brand double sided carpet tape and then use pocket knife to lift the backing from tape. Sometimes need to try several corners before having success only lifting the backing and not tape. I have had good luck with tape and usually do not need a full strip but only use half width and about 2" long segments at most in several spots for routing, and more for turning. I always use a pressure pad and live center when turning as much as possible not trusting the double stick tape any more than I trust a vacuum chuck without a pressure point from live center except for final delicate cuts.

I do the same by leaving the backing long and removing the tape without cutting both.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I have had my best luck making a small slice into the tape backing near and edge which allows me to insert the knife tip and start peeling with that. Trying to lift at the edge was always a challenge.
    God is great and life is good!

best double sided tape i have found is what golf shops use to install golf grips. sticky stuff and easy to use. comes in one inch and two inch widths

Agree with allen on using tape for golf grips

and besides it is cheaper than anything else i have found