Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vesper Sliding Bevel & Box

Vesper Sliding Bevel & Box

Hi guys,

I picked up a Sliding Bevel from Chris Vesper last weekend and just wanted to say that while it's not cheap it genuinely is an amazingly good sliding bevel.

DSC_0172Edit.jpg

DSC_0175Edit.jpg

Aside from the fact it's machined beautifully and looks great the blade locking mechanism works extremely well. Whilst other bevels i own slip quite easily and i always have to be very careful not to bump the blade or even apply side force while using a marking knife, the Vesper locks down SOLID - like really solid.

The more subtle details include the way the blade always sits slightly proud of the top of the body but recesses into the left/right sides so that you always capture/transfer angles properly (body doesn't get in the way if that makes sense).

Anyway, i'm really happy with it. So much so that when i was bored last weekend I knocked up a little Blackwood box to house it! Mainly hand tools used, but I'll admit that I used a bandsaw, hand drill and even a trim router to cut the stopped dado's...

DSC_0232borderenhanced.jpg

DSC_0264Sborderenhanced.jpg

DSC_0266borderenhanced.jpg

DSC_0238bord.jpg

Cheers, Dom

Blog Entries
    Beautiful! Very nice work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Not a bad looking tool, Dom, but that box is the cat's behind for sure. Nice, nice work.
    David

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

The box came about as I was cutting practise dovetail corners and after about 6 I thought; I could have made a box and got the practise at the same time! Looking around the bench for what the box would house I saw the new bevel and it seemed as good an application as any!

I did learn that 6 scrap corners is still a lot faster than making a whole box tho! Inevitably there is head scratching on design choice, wood selection and of course stock prep, finishing etc. At least there is something to hold at the end though I guess .

Cheers, Dom

But did you use the new bevel gauge to lay out the dovetails?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    But did you use the new bevel gauge to lay out the dovetails?

Haha, unfortunately I did not. I have gotten into the habit of just marking the top lines across the tail board and then cutting the angle by feel/eye most of the time. When I do mark out I use some sterling-toolworks clone dovetail markers I made. The 7" Vesper bevel would be too large for a small box like this IMO - at least with the way I work which had me marking the dovetails once the board is already in the vise.

Cheers,

Dom

Very nice box, Dom. I assume that you marked it out with a Versper-made Cohen knife?

Perhaps you should talk Chris into a range of your custom boxes for his gauges. They are worthy of each other.

Regards from Perth

Derek .... with 4" and 7" sliding bevels, both of which came in cardboard boxes

Nice box. Really nice bevel. I'm assuming it works in the same fashion as the Stanley #18? They are also rock solid and a favorite of mine.

47824190621_707a0bc13d_k.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have the #18, and it is very good. However, the Vesper is a lot more solid, easier to adjust and gorgeous to boot.

It's like comparing a Stanley to a Holtey. Both can do the job, but one is perfection.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Nice box. Really nice bevel. I'm assuming it works in the same fashion as the Stanley #18? They are also rock solid and a favorite of mine.

47824190621_707a0bc13d_k.jpg
    I met Chris Vesper in 2011. As I looked over one of his bevels, he told me the Stanley 18 bevels don't work. "They don't hold a setting."

I said "Sure they work, I have used one since 1978."

He said "they don't work"

Pitiful what people will say to sell product.

Well thanks Warren. I'm sure that will do to kill this thread.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well I’m gonna throw some love out there for Chris and the absolute perfection of his tools both in function and beauty. Add to it he might be one of the nicest and most patient people I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with.

I am the proud owner of his three piece ambuya burl bevel set. I also have a 4 and 10” square in ebony. His small combo square kit, his marking knife in ebony, the Cohen knife in ebony and a 7” square set to arrive well someday I guess.

I’d share pictures but I’m a bum leaching off SMC not contributing. I think I’ll try and fix that this weekend.

The last thing I’d take Chris as is a guy that will say nothing to make a sale.

So let’s bring the positivity back to this thread as Chris and his work and both exceptional.

And no I’m not a fan boy. It’s rare I like someone honestly and my opinion of Chris is based on my interactions with him and the service he provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Well thanks Warren. I'm sure that will do to kill this thread.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I met Chris Vesper in 2011. As I looked over one of his bevels, he told me the Stanley 18 bevels don't work. "They don't hold a setting."

I said "Sure they work, I have used one since 1978."

He said "they don't work"

Pitiful what people will say to sell product.
    Even my pre-Stanley #18 bevels work. Just don't try dropping them on the floor or abusing them and they hold well enough to get the job done. One thing that is done each time one of my bevels is to be used is to use a piece of scrap to make a check for each bevel used so they can be checked against a known mark.

It isn't the tool, it is the user.

The Vesper is a beautiful tool and Dominik, the box is also very nice to see.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have the #18, and it is very good. However, the Vesper is a lot more solid, easier to adjust and gorgeous to boot.

It's like comparing a Stanley to a Holtey. Both can do the job, but one is perfection.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    No argument here. They are real lookers. Alas, my wallet is a bit thin for that kind of bench candy. My trio of #18 will need to get me by.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

As a maker of things I have found a few, well things.

First if hand made you have to make very very nice or fine things. As a result you also must largely not solely cater to those whom can afford such luxury. Be it a Bugatti or a piece of furniture it best be nicer than the next guy as it probably cost just as much to make nice vrs “nice” if it’s truly hand made.

I have also found that generally people want nice stuff but when they come to understand the price involved in nice and hand made vrs off the shelf mass produced they often are not willing to pay for it. Largely I find even the wealthy to be very cheap. Few people seem to want to compensate anyone be it a guy in a one man shop working 12-15 hrs a day to survive or a sweat shop in China for what it is they want unless it’s some kinda deal. I find this puzzling and a broken way of rationalizing priorities. We all have something we will spend whatever on regardless of price. For some it’s food and booze for some it a collectible.

On the other hand these same people that will nickel and dime you on a one off pice of furniture or a Uber high end kitchen have no problem spending on top of the line appliances or a Land Rover or Benz a fancy watch or very expensive clothing. So often I build a $80k kitchen that depending on the shop and client could easily fetch $112 or $120K but the people you are building it for would never pay that. But then your get the appliance info and you realize they spent $55-70K on a Kitchen full of Subzero and Wolf appliances.

As a maker my whole life the above has made clear to me one truth. Somebody has got to support us makers or we go away. I do my part as I can when I can/ Sure it’s expensive for a bevel but it’s well within reach of most any working person if they want it bad enough plus you will have it forever and as a maker i use it everyday all day. I feel the same about machinery also. If Martin looses a demand for its machines and the market shrinks they go away and I’m stuck with junk tin can machinery if I want new.

I take the same approach if I need a plumber a electrician or a doctor. We all gotta get paid. Everything has become so expensive hat even us schleps that make stuff with our hands have to expect to be compensated like every other guy on the block.

What shouldn’t we.

I do get that there is a huge sector of the population that just can not justify a $400 bevel. So what I’m saying is not without understand and or compassion for that.

I personally do my best where I can when I can to support other makers and or working people. For what they are and I. Sure the time involved in making them I consider chris’s Tools a value if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    No argument here. They are real lookers. Alas, my wallet is a bit thin for that kind of bench candy. My trio of #18 will need to get me by.