Thread: USCG hat box

Blog Entries

USCG hat box

I have learned that it is a tradition when a USCG crew makes Chief for them to build a box for their hat. This guy approached us about showing him how and letting him build a hat box. I gave him pointers and let him do the work. His joints weren’t that great, so I suggested the upright pieces in the corners, which actually looked great. The window in the front is apparently the traditional way to build these. He decided on the engravings, which were done in the laser shop. The hinge supports were a pain in the butt, but they came out great. He did a fine job. Posting with his permission.

0EA98D28-7510-4114-A153-64D168C98F8C.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice! How were the engravings done before lasers came along?

Nice work Chief!
    Kudos to you and the shop for helping him to get this done Malcolm!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Very nice! How were the engravings done before lasers came along?
    Funny thing, Inlays and engravings (by hand- the old school way) are my specialty. I see lasers as a good thing more than a competition. They make hand work even more unique and appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Great project. I wish I had one for my cover.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Funny thing, Inlays and engravings (by hand- the old school way) are my specialty. I see lasers as a good thing more than a competition. They make hand work even more unique and appreciated.
    Hand work certainly is a dying art.