Thread: Router Plane Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Router Plane Project

On a lark, I started to build the router plane in the latest Woodsmith issue. It seems the recommended Lee Valley blades are a semi major expense for a little project that may or may not pan out really well for my usage. I am enough of a cheapskate to wonder about splurging on a $90+ set of blades that doesn't even include the spear point one for a tool that I am not sure how much I will use. It may be that I'll find that it was the best $100 I ever spent, but then again...

Where I am wondering what my options are is with blade mounting types. There seem to be other blades available, but often the orientation of the square shaft is oriented 45 degrees differently. There are also some that don't have square shafts.

There is the possibility of making a few blades from old allen wrenches to try out the concept. It would seem require a different and most likely incompatible mounting setup.

Are there other sources for blades with the same square shaft orientation as the Lee Valley ones that I might consider?

Maybe the answer is to commit to the Lee Valley configuration and buy one blade, perhaps one that isn't in the set so i can buy the set later without duplication. I know that we used a smaller probably pointier spear point a lot when I attended an inlay a class/demo. I could buy just the spear point, but wonder how useful it is as a general use blade.

Thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 11-08-2019 at 8:16 AM.