Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New-to-Me Drum Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    It looks great, I hope you'll enjoy using it. Having it on casters will be a big plus, especially for working on different lengths of wood. I made a box (kind of like a cabinet without a door) out of 3/4" CDX ply to put mine up to a comfortable height. I had some used casters on hand to make it movable. I got more usable storage space with the box than the stand, and it's full of cardboard boxes of walnut shorts that I buy online and other boxes of fretboard blanks and such. I still have the stand that came with the sander but haven't found a use for it yet.
    Zach
    I did similar but built a frame out of cleaned up 2 X 4s with 1/2" ply panels. Door on the front with one drawer inside. It seems silly to me to have 'benchtop' machines on a stand without maximum storage underneath.

Curt, if I wasn't already flush with storage, I'd build a cabinet for this new to me tool, too, and I agree that's a great way to handle both functions in one space. For this machine, I'm not going to bother...the shelf is sufficient for now and if I really feel the need for more enclosed space, I can plant a cabinet on that shelf without changing anything else.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    Great find Jim. I think your Performax and my PM are basically the same machine.
    Interesting In looking at the photos of your new machine, it does appear to share some parts in common with the PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Charles View Post
    Interesting In looking at the photos of your new machine, it does appear to share some parts in common with the PM.
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit...and is quite common in the tool industry at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...