Thread: Glass engraving issues

Glass engraving issues

I have over the past 6 years bought my glass ornaments straight from China and I have had wonderful success and people love them. I recently received another shipment but this shipment is not lasering as well. If I am lasering a name it will look like a letter has been skipped. It's odd and I don't know if I can or how to overcome this. The attached photo doesn't quite explain what I have going on. If you look at an angle you'll see the letter but when looking straight on it looks like a letter here or there is missing. In the picture example, it would be the "o" in Johnnie that doesn't show up like the rest. On the next ornament it might be in a different location which makes me think its the glass and there is little that I can do to overcome it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Roland EGX-20 Rotary Engraver

probably the glass, could be it contains boron oxide to toughen it up, which also makes glass more heat resistant-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Lasering glass is actually just micro-fractures and if parts of the glass are harder than others then you won't get good results, exactly what you are seeing. The only sure fire method to engrave glass is with sandcarving. A lot of people find lasering to be suitable but it's rare that anyone would every choose lasered if you show them an example of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Clark2227 View Post
    I have over the past 6 years bought my glass ornaments straight from China and I have had wonderful success and people love them. I recently received another shipment but this shipment is not lasering as well. If I am lasering a name it will look like a letter has been skipped. It's odd and I don't know if I can or how to overcome this. The attached photo doesn't quite explain what I have going on. If you look at an angle you'll see the letter but when looking straight on it looks like a letter here or there is missing. In the picture example, it would be the "o" in Johnnie that doesn't show up like the rest. On the next ornament it might be in a different location which makes me think its the glass and there is little that I can do to overcome it.

I guess I will need to order new ornaments. Is there any body that has better 3" round multi faceted crystal ornaments than JDS where I can get them for $4.45 each
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Roland EGX-20 Rotary Engraver