Thread: Gluing Bench Top to Solid Core Door

Gluing Bench Top to Solid Core Door

I'm sure this is not a new idea but I'm looking for comments about possible warping if I glue up either maple or beech bench top and glue to solid core door. The door thickness and finished bench top are 1 3/4" and 1 1/4", respectively. I'm doing this to somewhat ensure that the bench top is flat using the door as a uniform surface. Thanks

Blog Entries
    The bench top will expand & contract across the grain. The door, unless it's solid wood with the grain running all the same direction as the bench top, will move differently. When humidity changes the top will cup one way or the other unless you use mechanical fasteners that allow for movement between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    I'm sure this is not a new idea but I'm looking for comments about possible warping if I glue up either maple or beech bench top and glue to solid core door. The door thickness and finished bench top are 1 3/4" and 1 1/4", respectively. I'm doing this to somewhat ensure that the bench top is flat using the door as a uniform surface. Thanks
    Frank: your assessment is exactly what I feared. I am now considering a pre-made 1 3/4" thk maple counter top to lay on the 1 3/4" solid core door. This assumes the pre-made counter top will move minimally with weather changes. Depending upon how the 2 contact surfaces mate, I may just drill a 1" (?) single row dowel down the center and let the table settle before permanently connecting and edging. Again, any thoughts? Thanks

NEVER glue solid wood to manmade material. Todays solid core doors are just a slab of low grade particle board. Why both on your second option? 1 3/4" solid maple is not sufficient? It's plenty unless you plan to drive a pickup on top of it. Even then it will hold up! Either use a door or solid, you don't need both

The pre-made counter top will move in exactly the same way as one you would build yourself. It is a property of wood, not the result of a build technique.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    ...possible warping if I glue up either maple or beech bench top and glue to solid core door...
    Guaranteed warping. Use traditional bench construction.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I recommend just doing one or the other.

You could "make do" with the door for now, and make a solid top later.

thank you all............been a great help

Today i ordered a 1 3/4" maple butcher block type slab (USA made) for my bench top. After a lot of humming and hawing, I was finally convinced to go this route after visiting a local kitchen cabinet shop. The cabinet maker showed me his hard maple bench top and the abuse that it takes while doing custom and production work. My concern was sagging at the table ends where my heavy vise is located 10" from support. Further, he showed me dollys that he uses in the shop made from the same maple material and routinely places 1K+ pounds on them without any problems. I intend to attach a "skirt" around the bench perimeter to support materials clamped to a leg vise and drill bench dog holes. The place I ordered my top is attached below, if interested. I am not financially connected to this vendor in any way. Thanks

www.globalindustrial.com

The door wouldn't have done you much good anyway. They sag from their own weight, over time.