Thread: Festool question

Festool question

Anyone have feedback on how much less flexible or stiffer the 16ga cords are than the 18ga? I’m looking at a longer cord for my sander and want to keep it just as flexible as before if possible. Thx.

I haven't noticed any significant difference. That said, I keep the cords velcroed to the dust collection hoses (16ga to 27mm, 18ga to 36mm hose), so the difference in cord isn't significant.

Bob

Blog Entries
    The most flexible & durable will be rubber jacketed cord. Type SJ has a lighter sheath that SOOW & is more flexible, but still plenty tough for this.

I am using both gauge cords and have never noticed any difference in flexibility. Was never looking for a difference so just have not felt it. If there is a difference it is very minor.

Thanks. This helps. I ordered a longer hose and wanted to get a longer cable to go with it. But didn’t want to loose any flexibility or make the sander more tiring.

I don't know that there's a huge amount of difference. I have the heavier cord in my "self-created" hose/cord assembly so it's compatible with all my tools. I actually have to redo that because my Domino has a later release of the PlugIt system and the older 16 gage plug is hard to lock on the Domino. Fortunately, I have more of the braided wrap material. The heavier cords are compatible with all the tools/the lighter ones will not work with things like the Domino 700 and the OF1400 because of the higher amperage requirement. The plugs on the cords are keyed to enforce that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    I am using both gauge cords and have never noticed any difference in flexibility. Was never looking for a difference so just have not felt it. If there is a difference it is very minor.
    +1.

I've never paid attention to any difference, but I always use the thicker cord hooked up to my Festool vac. Never had been an issue at all.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks guys. I ordered a 7.5M 16ga plug it cord. Longer than the hose but that’s ok. I’ll keep the original sander cord with the shorter hose.

I have both cords and they are pretty much the same, but since I use them attached to the hose it makes even less difference.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!