Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow blowers

Snow blowers

What's the best chute spray to prevent clogging?

Hi Harry, I use Armor-All.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Must be that time of year, I got up, looked out the window and wondered if I should go back to bed until February 2 or clean off the van and go to work.

I use one of the sprays containing teflon. It works fine, but has be reapplied often.

I modified the snow blower by closing the gap between the impeller, and housing, with rubber gasket material. I've never had the chute clog, it's always been the impeller housing that was the cause.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have one I painted with a graphite paint, dont remember the exact name but it is slick and doesnt wear off quite as quickly as a spray. PAM cooking spray, auto spray wax, etc... are all viable choices.

I have heard candle wax and blowtorch.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Before each use, I spray the chute, impeller and augers with silicone. It's been many years since I had a clogged chute.

Silicone here as well--but only 2 or 3 times a season. Running a 30" Troy Bilt, good blower. But, i live on a State Highway, and 3 seasons back the State changed "salt" formulation. Now when i get out by the road it's a nasty sludge, and refreezes behind the impeller. In that same period of time i've also noticed that small pines along State Highways in our corner of the state tend to be brown on the highway side of the trees--and they weren't before.
    earl

Full disclosure: I live in Florida and I've never seen a snow blower.

I wonder how a ceramic sealant like you use on your car would work. There's a full ceramic coating or even a ceramic detail spray.
    It makes everything slide right off your car when used.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Blog Entries
    I have had Toro paddle style snowblowers for 40 years and never had to spray the plastic chutes.
    NOW you tell me...

Here in the Great White North, we get a lot of wet, heavy, slushy snow for about 5 months of the year. But, I'm not complaining. I've tried silicone sprays, Armor All, graphite sprays and the wax that I use on my table saw. I get the same results from dollar store vegetable oil spray for a lot less money.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I'm with you Grant. I use a can of canola spray oil I get for a dollar or two at the supermarket, in my snowthrower on the JD318.
    I have to keep it inside in winter as it thickens with the cold and doesn't spray as well.

I use one of those once-a-year car waxes. Has always worked great and I just put some on the snowblower at the same time I wax the car for the last time before winter. Around here that usually is in September. Got hit with our first snowstorm yesterday and we got close to 18"! With that much snow all at once, nothing was moving. Had to snowblow the road from our house to the highway just so cars could get home from work. Quite the workout but the air was real 'fresh' with a north wind right off Lake Superior! Winter has arrived!
    First_Snow_2019.jpg
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have not used any in 35 years never had a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Niemann View Post
    What's the best chute spray to prevent clogging?
    The thrower chute and auger box are the only reasons I have silicon spray in the shop.
    I also use it on my snow shovels.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night