Thread: Advantages of Button Lac

Blog Entries

Advantages of Button Lac

Interested to know if any of you have experience with button lac. I mixed up a batch that I have intended to use on a project, I usually do a light buffing of shellac over oil.

Recently I decided to give button lac a try, given that it is polymerized and should be a stronger finish. Something appealing to me, given that shellac is fairly easily damaged.

Appreciate any insights.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian I use button lac and I like it. It does take longer to melt even one button at a time.
    I stir before I apply because it separates pretty quick. Sometimes the color isn’t that appealing to me. I was going use it on some beech. But I change my mine because it was too orange looking.
    I think you’ll like it. It polishes easy I also read it’s harder then dewaxed.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Andrew. I appreciate your experience.

I started using it yesterday, have to say I like it a lot. I do a wipe-on style of application for shellac and this seems to work nicely. I can find a nice sheen pretty quickly.

I'm working on walnut for the moment, so it seems to be fine there, I may return to super blonde for my light wood projects.

The hardness aspect is where I'm finding appeal.

I've been moving away from drying oils and pretty much anything with harsh chemicals in it, so this seems to be a nice way to find a semi-durable but easily repairable finish.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thumbs up 👍
    Aj

The darker color on walnut should be great and will warm it up a lot. I agree with probably needing something blond-ish for the light woods you use because it's going to be really noticeable if you use the buttonlac on that! (unless that's the look you want, of course)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...