Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outfeed problem with new G0634XP Combination Jointer/Planer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Outfeed problem with new G0634XP Combination Jointer/Planer

I am hoping someone out there can assist. After researching and deciding on the G0634XP Combination Jointer/Planer, I placed an order with Grizzly in late August. The machine was back ordered and we had some shipment delays. I finally received it the first week of October and anxiously set it up and started making some sawdust. To my dismay, the outfeed roller on the planer was leaving a pattern of dots in the wood. I’m not sure why, but the outfeed roller is a spring loaded knurled steel roller. I backed off the spring tension to zero and still got some marks. I’ll try to attach photos. I called Grizzly. I’ve never had issues with their product and found them solid and reputable. The first thing they told me was I had the wrong outfeed roller. The one on their show room floor was not knurled. Then a week later, they said it was the right one – they had changed the design. They would check with the engineers at the factory and get back to me. It has been several weeks and they say they are still waiting for the response but no one else has had this problem. So I’m in limbo. I splurged on a machine that is sitting idle because I can’t get a smooth surface from it.
    Has anyone experienced this issue? Any suggestions on getting this resolved? As of now, Grizzly hasn’t been responsive. I don’t understand why they would make the outfeed roller with such an aggressive pattern. It defeats the purpose of those nice spiral carbide cutters. Have I missed something in setup? I’m sickened that I’ve spent so much money and this beast is just sitting there.
    outfeed marks.jpgoutfeed roller.jpg

Out feed roller isn't supposed to be like that, it will leave marks on the surface no matter how low the tension. I can see some people would argue the planer is not supposed to produce a finish ready surface but I tend to think its a poor design. I would expect to have an answer from them that will fix the issue (perhaps replacing this with a different roller).

Blog Entries
    The outfeed roller is functioning as designed. I often chime in on threads where people are upgrading from finish-planers to floor models warning them of this feature. There were a few floor models sporting smooth outfeed rollers in the past and there are even more today. A sign that the industry is noticing the up-tick in home shops and the types of machines we now consider home shop machines maybe. ;-)

No one wants to buy a new machine just to start modifying it so, your choices may be as follows. Tell Grizzly that since you bought this machine based on the floor model, that is what you would like to get. If that is no longer possible they should take the machine back. If you're willing to do the work, you could ask that they swap you the roller out of the "old design" floor model with your "new design" machine.

There are also places that provide replacement rollers that are rubberized but, that is starting down a whole different road. Fundamentally the machine you received is not the one you saw, therefor Grizzly should make it right one way or the other. If you return the machine and start looking elsewhere you will know to assure a smooth roller is present on the current offering. Another option is to keep a lunchbox finish-planer around for softer material.

I have the rollers on my G0453Z backed way off from the factory default which is set for initial milling of rough material. This gives me a smooth finish except for softer woods. This is not an issue for me as I do a lot of surface work on material between the machines and the finish going on. If you are looking for a finish-planer type of surface I do not believe the machine you show is going to make you happy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn - Unfortunately for me, I think you are correct.
    I'm going to ask about swapping out rollers. So far, I'm disappointed in their responsiveness.
    Thanks for your comments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Moll View Post
    So far, I'm disappointed in their responsiveness.
    I find narrowing the focus of the conversation helps to move things along. In your case, my position would be "The machine I received is different than the floor model I based my purchase decision on". I would not let a lot of time go by between conversations. They need to know that you are unhappy and want the issue resolved ASAP. I am not saying you should be a demanding jerk. I am saying that you should state simply and civilly that you did not get what you thought you ordered and you would like to know what the next logical step to resolve the issue is.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My Parks planer designed built around 1930 -1980 has. a solid smooth outfeed roller. That looks like my infeed roller to me. A better machine would have a segmented infeed roller with those serations.
    Bil lD.

I am hoping someone out there can assist. After researching and deciding on the G0634XP Combination Jointer/Planer, I placed an order with Grizzly in late August. The machine was back ordered and we had some shipment delays. I finally received it the first week of October and anxiously set it up and started making some sawdust. To my dismay, the outfeed roller on the planer was leaving a pattern of dots in the wood. I’m not sure why, but the outfeed roller is a spring loaded knurled steel roller. I backed off the spring tension to zero and still got some marks. I’ll try to attach photos. I called Grizzly. I’ve never had issues with their product and found them solid and reputable. The first thing they told me was I had the wrong outfeed roller. The one on their show room floor was not knurled. Then a week later, they said it was the right one – they had changed the design. They would check with the engineers at the factory and get back to me. It has been several weeks and they say they are still waiting for the response but no one else has had this problem. So I’m in limbo. I splurged on a machine that is sitting idle because I can’t get a smooth surface from it.
    Has anyone experienced this issue? Any suggestions on getting this resolved? As of now, Grizzly hasn’t been responsive. I don’t understand why they would make the outfeed roller with such an aggressive pattern. It defeats the purpose of those nice spiral carbide cutters. Have I missed something in setup? I’m sickened that I’ve spent so much money and this beast is just sitting there.
    outfeed marks.jpgoutfeed roller.jpg
    What does the infeed roller look like. It's the one that should be textured. The outfeed roller should be smooth. I'm wondering if somehow the rollers got reversed.

That was my thought when i looked at picture #2.
    earl

I agree with Glenn, indicate you want the machine you ordered, not the one you received.

It's odd, many planers have rubber outfeed rollers as options, or more than one outfeed roller, not sure why they would put a knurled outfeed roller on a planer like that........Rod.

Agree with the others, Grizzly needs to step up. I have a Jet JJP-12, the infeed is serrated, the outfeed is a hard rubber sleeve on a steel shaft. The only marks I get are from the infeed roller if I remove less than the depth of the infeed roller marks. If Grizzly can't or won't fix it to your satisfaction, maybe get a price for a replacement smooth outfeed roller and ask for a partial refund including something for your labor and aggravation. I'm not sure where to look for replacement rollers.

For those who can’t see the photos, the infeed roller is a serrated spiral and the outfeed is a kurled roller with pretty sharp points.

I have asked for a smooth roller replacement but they no longer make that part. The support people in the USA seem to understand the problem. But say they have sold a ton of these machines and never had complaints. I think because it is a basic design issue, they are trying to get feedback from the factory engineers overseas and for some reason they aren’t responding or getting an answer. I call them twice a day and am losing patience.

Thanks for the support. I’ll let you know how it gets resolved but in the meantime, I cannot recommend this machine, or its variants.

For those who can’t see the photos, the infeed roller is a serrated spiral and the outfeed is a kurled roller with pretty sharp points.

I have asked for a smooth roller replacement but they no longer make that part. The support people in the USA seem to understand the problem. But say they have sold a ton of these machines and never had complaints. I think because it is a basic design issue, they are trying to get feedback from the factory engineers overseas and for some reason they aren’t responding or getting an answer. I call them twice a day and am losing patience.

Thanks for the support. I’ll let you know how it gets resolved but in the meantime, I cannot recommend this machine, or its variants.
    Try to escalate it higher in the CS department and talk to a manager. The simple fact that what you got is not what was in the show room is grounds to get the issue solved to your satisfaction. I can't understand arguments that "others have not complained". I have a Minimax J/P and the outfeed rollers are smooth. The only time I see those marks is from the infeed rollers if I don't take a deep enough pass.
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 11-08-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    The only time I see those marks is from the infeed rollers if I don't take a deep enough pass.
    Bingo!!!

Same experience I had when I moved from a lunchbox planer.
    I can no longer make a kiss pass with soft lumber.

Sounds crazy to me. No matter how deep your cut is, if the outfeed roller is making contact and pulling the workpiece thru, it's likely going to leave marks. Question is, is that outfeed roller there to pull the work piece or to simply hold the workpiece down to the table. If the latter is the case, it can be adjusted to make light contact with the workpiece, not actually pressing into it.
    In fact, the more I look at that roller, the more I think that's the case. Adjust that outfeed roller to make lighter contact.
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 11-09-2019 at 9:23 AM.

After lots of back and forth with Grizzly, they took a knurled outfeed roller part and machined off the knurling. It was a pretty crude job with the diameter variance along the length of up to 0.012" (the original part was nearly zero). I took the machine apart and swapped rollers. With the modified roller, the pock marks from the knurling are gone and the wood surface is very smooth. I've had to crank down the out feed roller tension to prevent slippage which results in a bit of snipe but I think it will be OK. They told me that all their machines now have knurled outfeed rollers and they are not meant to be finish planers. I did a lot of research before ordering and never saw mention of this "design feature". I don't know when they made the change from the smooth to knurled but they told me they have had no complaints.

Grizzly admitted the marks I was getting were excessive and they speculate the knurling on my original roller was too sharp. I'm not so sure. I sent the part back as requested for their review. I doubt I'll get any feedback. I have ordered a new spare knurled roller just for curiosity and maybe a modification down the road.

So for anyone thinking about Grizzly planers, beware of this change. Overall, I believe this machine is a good value, just not what I expected. Their customer/tech support stuck with me to resolve my concerns. They were not prompt and I had to keep after them.

Thanks for the forum feedback and support. Now, back to woodworking.