Thread: Excited about getting my new to me Northfield 12" jointer!!!

Excited about getting my new to me Northfield 12" jointer!!!

As the title states I'm really excited about picking up my new to me Northfield 12" jointer. Slowly but surely I'm making headway in my pursuit to replace my Asian machines with those that are more consistent with the Northfield. Next in line will be a bandsaw to replace a Jet 14" with riser block and something to replace my Jet 20" planer. Anyone else sharing this pursuit?

When I'm a buyer, too many share the pursuit. When I'm a seller, not enough. Dave

Congrats on your impending new jointer!

Different tool, but I'm picking up my new-to-me Supramax drum sander tomorrow and spend today cleaning and re-arranging to be prepared for its arrival. I haven't bought a lot of tools used, but in this case, it was exactly what I wanted and needed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Congrats on your impending new jointer!

Different tool, but I'm picking up my new-to-me Supramax drum sander tomorrow and spend today cleaning and re-arranging to be prepared for its arrival. I haven't bought a lot of tools used, but in this case, it was exactly what I wanted and needed.
    I would've tried to beat you to the punch on the Supramax but it was way too far for me. You folks in the NE and rust belt area have the pick of the litter compared to the iron deprived SW. Wood isn't exactly plentiful here either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    As the title states I'm really excited about picking up my new to me Northfield 12" jointer. Slowly but surely I'm making headway in my pursuit to replace my Asian machines with those that are more consistent with the Northfield. Next in line will be a bandsaw to replace a Jet 14" with riser block and something to replace my Jet 20" planer. Anyone else sharing this pursuit?
    Brings back memories. I too was excited to get a 12" Northfield jointer. I found it on ebay and had to drive from Dallas to Houston to get it but was well worth the trip.

I have a NF 12 LD as well, got it from a local online school surplus auction when I lived in Cleveland. It was listed as an 8”, but it pays (literally) to go to the preview ;-)

I’m currently working on my Oliver 399 planer which will replace my Jet 4 poster.

I'm also on the same path. I started with the 12" Oliver 166 jointer and have been on the hunt for an old arn planer and mortiser for the last year or two. Keeps things interesting looking for the right deals, at the right time, in the right place...
    Still waters run deep.

I went from an 8" oliver (I miss that jointer), to a 16" fay and egan 316 (that one was nice too) to a 20" Clement (I miss that one too) to a 30" American. With about every manufacturer and width thrown in. I like the NF jointers, mostly because I like dealing with NF. Sure parts are not cheap, but the service is great.

Love's lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I went from an 8" oliver (I miss that jointer), to a 16" fay and egan 316 (that one was nice too) to a 20" Clement (I miss that one too) to a 30" American. With about every manufacturer and width thrown in. I like the NF jointers, mostly because I like dealing with NF. Sure parts are not cheap, but the service is great.

Love's lost.
    Ditto on NFs customer service. I contacted them to ask about the machine I intended to buy and Jeff, their sales manager couldn't have been more helpful and patient with all of my questions. Compare that with a call to most of the other manufacturer's customer service departments.

Jeff is the owner. Wonderful guy.