Thread: Another workbench question

Another workbench question

I am replacing my original bench top (which used three layers of 3/4" particle board and a hardboard top) with a 1 1/2" laminated maple top that I bought off Craigslist. I will need to raise the top at least 1" over the existing base due to the top's thickness difference, and think I'd like to raise it an additional 3/4" since I've found the old one to be just a little short for planing and sawing. My thoughts are I could add feet to the frame, which would be pretty easy to install, or I could add something to top of the base, like steel channels or something to give the top extra support. Any thoughts on which is better, or other ideas? Thanks!

Kevin

If you haven't already removed the old top, why not cut it down a little (so it doesn't show much) and then mount the new top above it. The extra weight is a good thing, and if you have dog holes in the new top you can just bore through the old top in the proper locations. Things like holdfasts work better with a thicker top anyway.

Blog Entries
    It is difficult to make a suggestion of how to get where you want to go without knowing where you are.

Is your current base wood, metal or something else?

Maybe a couple of 2X4s or 4X4s as stretchers across the legs would work to raise the top.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The laminated maple will change dimensions with the seasons, not so much the particle board. This may give you a problem keeping the top flat, the extra weight and thickness would otherwise be useful. The top you bought may be better used on a different project.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I have had adjustable risers attached to sides of the bottoms of my wooden bench legs since I built it. I got them on Amazon for a few bucks. They have held up well and have no problem supporting the 300 or so lbs of the bench. It's nice to be able to adjust the bench height, although the really nice thing is the help in getting it level if you are working on an uneven surface like I am.

I also have used cement blocks under the legs for more substantial changes in height and to keep the leg bottoms out of the water that sometimes pools in my outdoor "shop." If you don't have a water problem, it's kind of an inelegant solution. It does work, however.