Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool storage on your table saw

Thanks for the ideas. This saw is going to live in my basement (not my shop) so it's going to have to be mobile. Being a left tilt nothing can be too close to the right side of the saw because of the tilt wheel. I could make a cabinet on it's own wheels but I think that's more than I want. The saw main use is going to be cutting wedges to make segmented bowls but because it came with the full length fence rails and a router built in I'm not going to cut or replace the rails yet.

I picked up a couple of those cheap vinyl coated steel hooks from the hardware store. I have lots of incredibly strong magnets so I think I'll weld a flat piece of steel to the hook and try that combination for now. With plenty of ideas I'll keep them in mind. I may decide down the road that more storage is needed.

My SawStop PCS has 36 inch rails and is on a home made base because I wanted it higher and I knew I needed storage. Just to the right of the tilt wheel I have 6 or 8 inches free for a sled and so I can use the tilt wheel. But that leaves about 18 inches of space where I have a little cabinet on the mobile base. The top few inches is clear so I can side the rip fence there when using the sled. Below that is a shallow drawer for dial calipers and push sticks - little stuff. Next drawer down is for blades, regular and dado. I stack them on a dowel with 5mm plywood spacers separating the blades. It takes a few seconds to get to the bottom blade but a lot of blades fit into a 3.5 inch deep drawer. Below that are two drawers for general stuff for the table saw.

With a router table built in you won't have as much space but should be able to fit in several drawers.

The cabinet I described above is currently under the right side of a SS with a 36" fence. There is enough room to use the handwheel on the saw. A bit awkward, but ok for the few times I move the blade angle.

The saw is not on a mobile base, it's on four squares of OSB to raise it 3", and the legs have a riser under them also. The cabinet is on casters and can move quickly if necessary. So far it is not necessary in about three years.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I made this a few weeks ago, not my original idea, but I expanded upon the concept, I saw, adding the side extension and tool storage.

Very nice, thank you for sharing.

If I find that I don't need to move the saw then I could see storing more items at the saw. When not in use it'll be stored out of the way in a corner that's not easy to access. None of my precision tools will be kept at the saw. Even most of the 10" blades will be stored with my contractor's saw as I'll only be using 1 or 2 different blades with this saw. My miter gauge is used on several tools so it's kept in a central location that works for each one. Even the feather boards are used on more than one tool but most likely I will just end up with each one having their own.