Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool storage on your table saw

Tool storage on your table saw

How do people store the common tools used for your table saw. My 66 has an extension table but it has a router in it with a dust "bucket". If I make something it has to work around it leaving me enough room to access it if I need to remove it. My saw is on a mobile base with out the extension but I could add one if needed.

I've been bouncing around with ideas from just putting hooks on the underside of the fence rail in the front to making something thin that can slide out (like a pull out broom cabinet). I don't want something that's too cumbersome though. Simple always seams better in my shop. I've even thought of making something complicated that would include dust extraction for the router and multiple drawers to store saw blades and what not but I really don't think there's going to be that much stuff and since it's mobile I'm not sure if the added bulk will be more problematic than helpful.

Blog Entries
    Just go to pinterest or Google and look up ideals. There everywhere...

The only things that gets stored on board of my cabinet saw are a push stick, a saw wrench and a miter gauge.
    Regards,

Tom

I have 2 push sticks and a "T" handle allen wrench on my saw.

They are on hooks that have a magnetic base...............Regards, Rod.

I made this a few weeks ago, not my original idea, but I expanded upon the concept, I saw, adding the side extension and tool storage.

I only keep my push stick at the saw and it hangs by a magnet so it's available when I need it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've seen lots of pictures but there's a difference between a picture and the person who actually uses it and says "I did this and this is what I like and dislike". I hadn't thought of using magnets. I was thinking of drilling and taping holes for the hooks. A magnet would be a lot easier to install and move. I have an Incra 1000HD it's too expensive to just hang on the saw so really it's the wrenches for the saw, push blocks, wrenches for the router, and maybe a place for the splitter when I need to remove it. I like being organized but things like the miter gauge and saw blades can be stored in a cabinet on the wall.

Blog Entries
    ChrisA's solution is a lot like a method I had used on my hybrid:

22124 support pedestal (1).jpg22124 support pedestal (2).jpg

This storage "pier" and side-feed support went with the saw to its new home. I found it to be very usable for a few items. The gap between the saw cabinet and the pier could house your router depending on your config.

My current version would not support your router table. My router is on the left so I have the area on the right for drawer storage.

TS drawers (35).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My router is on the right side of the blade. All the tools, to use it are housed around the dust box.

On my Incra fence, I have a cheap plastic tray that hold pencils, etc.., and my push stick hangs off one of the Incra fence knobs. (the below picture is before I made the side extension and new outfeed table)

Two drawer file cabinet keeps out a lot of the dust.

Alex, you can easily buy hooks already mounted on magnets for this purpose...Just be sure to get magnetic fixtures that are strong enough for the intended purpose...heavier things need stouter rare-earth magnets, for example. But it's a great way to go. For my push stick, it was utter simplicity...I took a surplus short 1/4" bolt and nut and put it through the hole on the end of the push stick. I stuck a single rare earth magnet on the saw. The push stick hangs on the magnet via the bolt head until I grab it to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a blade cabinet under the side table. It is about the size of a 2 drawer file cab. It is short enough that it has casters under it for movability, and wide enough to hold 12" blades. The bottom drawer is blades, ranging from 7 1/4" to 12", and has at least 30 10 and 12" blades in it, plus a bunch of smaller ones. It is about 24" long, and weighs a ton with all those blades. Simple epoxy slides have worked for 20 years.

There are three other drawers. Top one is about 2" deep, and holds push sticks and misc. small stuff. Second 3" deep drawer holds dado sets, and the third 4" deep drawer holds feather boards and other misc.

A simple holder on the side for my sacrificial dado fence will be modified soon to hold some other stuff also.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Depending on how extensive and involved you want to get then there will be a variety of answers. Are you talking about storage for the common items like push sticks, squares, wrenches.......
    I have a cabinet saw, Grizzly. Years ago when I worked in a production shop, steel type work, I was allowed to save some of our drops and make a base for my saw. Made it out of 3" Sq tube, the base was made to be divided for the saw and a box/print drawer, so the saw side I made a well so that the saw would sit down inside of the well and not be raised up an additional 3". Then on the box side the steel sheet was mounted to the top of it, I used an old "print drawer" for my tool storage, once again the print drawer was free as well, we converted all of our prints to PDF files to minimize storage, then the company just gave away the print drawers, seems like they are about 40" wide X 20" tall and maybe 24" deep?? Can't remember the exact dimensions of the print drawer ( a drawer for holding blue prints). Then just mounted heavy duty all steel casters to the base, made mine all swivel. It also has 4 bridge bolts that I can screw down towards the floor if a brake/stop is needed to prevent it from moving.
    The reality of it all is that with the print drawer loaded up with blades, measuring tools, squares and a few other odds and ends, plus the weight of the base and saw, well I really do not have any issues with it moving around due to the weight of it all, and it is not so heavy that I cannot push it by myself if necessary either.
    But I really do not spend a lot of time pushing my saw around these days, 3 bay garage, small third bay is for my saw and other things, only need one bay for momma's car and the bike!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I made this a few weeks ago, not my original idea, but I expanded upon the concept, I saw, adding the side extension and tool storage.
    Chris, thanks for that link. I sorely need some tablesaw storage and I plan to make something very similar when I clear a couple of projects out of my shop. The fold down wing is particularly interesting. I really liked his extending support arm. That looks like a good solution for an outfeed table I also need.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    That looks like a good solution for an outfeed table I also need.
    For the out feed table, I replicated Steve ?, from Highland Woodworking, design on his SawStop Out Feed table. I did the floating top to allow easy adjustability. When in the normal position, the table top registers and is held in place place a couple of hand knobs. I have about 49" of support behind the blade. If I'm cutting longer than 8' and need extra support, I can rotate the out feed table through 90 degrees to get about 65" of support

The design I copied