Thread: Moxon OTT, but oh so nice feature :)

Moxon OTT, but oh so nice feature :)

Here is an overhead of my Moxon vise in the closed position ..

When I loosen the wheels now, the jaw automatically opens about 30mm ...

I was intrigued by a video tip from David Barron where he added a spring to the inside of his chop ...

His video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=gk0pFLmS9Tk

... and decided to try this out on my Moxon. I had a couple of springs lying around which, fortunately were the ideal size and also compressible (they are triangular, where David's are parallel. He needed to modify the chop with a recess to permit it to close up. I did not need this).

The wonder of this system is that it is effortless to use, to open and close. No wracking on screws when opening any longer. Effortless! Loosen one side, and slip out the work piece. Reposition. Tighten one screw ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

That looks like a great feature-thanks for sharing and i'll plan to build into mine this winter.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

What took you so long to figure the springs out.
    Tom

Off-topic question, but how do you post such large photos? I'm told about 200k is the maximum allowable size.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    What took you so long to figure the springs out.
    I guess I'm a slow learner, Tom

.... but I do not recall anyone else reporting on this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Off-topic question, but how do you post such large photos? I'm told about 200k is the maximum allowable size.
    Bob, I paste from postimage.org where the I scale the images between 23-24cm high using Photoshop Elements.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I guess I'm a slow learner, Tom

.... but I do not recall anyone else reporting on this.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Saw the same video of sorts. Don't recall if it was the same person. Too busy to hunt down the springs at the time. Local ACE didn't have what I wanted. Handy idea though. Perhaps on the refined version. Then again. Do I really need a more refined version? Sometimes it is just fun to go over the top.

If one is using springs between the chops (as in the above pictures) is the oblong hole on the front chop still necessary? Asking for a friend

I am sorry for being a wise guy Derek. In my trade we lift clamps, strip parts, hold things, move blocks and so on. It is just the first thing take comes to mind. I am working on a project for myself and I took it for a spin yesterday and the first thing that was apparent was I needed a spring to lift a clamp. For me it is second nature, but your new moxon vise addressed work holding for marking that I hadn't thought off.

I Guess with as many dovetails as you cut it surprised me that it hadn't occurred to you sooner, but then if person is concentrating on a different skill they tend to live with what they have until all the finer points are mastered.
    Tom