Thread: Shaper Spindle Question

Shaper Spindle Question

Hi all,

I have a shaper that, in a perfect world, I would like to use a planer cutter with a rub collar to trim wood with a pattern. The planer cutters I see have a 1 1/4” bore. The max spindle on my shaper is 3/4”. Would it be proper/safe to use bushings to run it? Or do I simply need a bigger shaper?

thanks.

You can use a bushing to convert it from 3/4" to 1 1/4" however you need to be sure the cutters are for light duty. In other words if you use a cutter that hogs so much wood it needs a 1 1/4" spindle you may bend the 3/4" spindle.

It is for light duty. Just flush trimming smallish pieces that I first cut with a bandsaw. trimming less than 3/16

There's a lot of side load when pattern milling, so take super light cuts. Amana might sell very light, 3/4 bore straight heads.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

I was thinking of using a carbide spiral jointer head like the Amana 61292.

Byrd makes smaller heads with 3/4'' bores. I have one,I think it is 2.5'' in diameter.

That’s awesome. That solves the issue. I guess I need to work on my google skills. I could only get 1 1/4” bores to show up. Thanks all.

Just look for a straight cutter. I think "planner" is limiting your results.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vsoika View Post
    Hi all,

I have a shaper that, in a perfect world, I would like to use a planer cutter with a rub collar to trim wood with a pattern. The planer cutters I see have a 1 1/4” bore. The max spindle on my shaper is 3/4”. Would it be proper/safe to use bushings to run it? Or do I simply need a bigger shaper?

thanks.
    Hi, try searching for a rebate head, that's what I use for pattern copying............Rod.