Thread: SCM S50 planer - anybody have experience

SCM S50 planer - anybody have experience

Does anybody know any specs on the SCM S50 planer? I've seen plenty of the S52 and S520 models around...visually, the S50 appears to have been concurrent with the S52/63, but seems odd to have a concurrent model with such a similar capacity? Maybe it came earlier?

Searching online at the usual spots didn't yield much useful info. Maybe it was a machine that was never made for the US market?

Looks like some of them had onboard grinders, 2 speed feed rate, straight knife cutter heads.

I'm looking for info on motor HP, if it has a separate feed motor, overall dimensions, any firsthand feedback.
    Still waters run deep.

Are you talking about the older green units? I'm not sure how far the S50 designation carried forward, so not sure which generation your looking at?

I own one of the green era ones, probably an 80's machine though not really sure on that. I think the hp is either 8 or 9, can't remember exactly, but its enough. It's one motor for the head and drive and a smaller separate motor for the table lift. It does have an onboard knife grinder which I can't even imagine living without. Knives start to dull a bit, less than 5 minutes you can touch them up. A full out re-grind take maybe a half hour or so, but that happens pretty infrequently for me. Maybe once a year at most and as such the knives last forever. I'm still on the set I bough with the machine 8 or so years ago and they have many years left.

It does indeed have two speeds, the higher speed is what I consider a normal feed speed, the lower really gives a heck of a finish.

I don't know the dimensions off the top of my head, but could get them for ya if its important.

Overall I have to say I cannot imagine having anything that would be better suited to my work. There are bigger planers, and heavier planers, but this one just does everything I need it to. Funny thing is how I came into it. Some years ago I had bought a brand new Bridgwood 20" planer with a 5 hp motor, variable speed feed, spiral cutterhead.... the works! I used it and found it to be ok, but it never really impressed me the way I thought it would. Then one day I was buying a shaper from a local guy who was closing up shop and retiring, he offered me his planer and jointer. The asking price was very attractive, but I had no need for a planer as mine was maybe 8 months old at that point. I left with my shaper but couldn't shake the thought of the planer. So I went back and bought the planer a few days later figuring I could re-sell it if it wasn't a real upgrade. I think I may have waited a week to list the Bridgewood for sale! The SCM of course is a different class of machine, I just hadn't learned it by that point.

hope this helps, good luck!
    JeffD

Thanks for the reply, Jeff! Definitely helps to hear some first hand feedback. That's about what I expected to hear, but wanted to know if there were any issues with this particular model.

I'd love to know the dimensions whenever it's convenient for you relay them back here.

It looks like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 11-07-2019 at 8:21 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

that looks like an old l'invincible, would have been branded on the cover thats missing on the lower right

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Jeff! Definitely helps to hear some first hand feedback. That's about what I expected to hear, but wanted to know if there were any issues with this particular model.

I'd love to know the dimensions whenever it's convenient for you relay them back here.

It looks like this...

Can't see the pics.... gotta pay SMC the ransom first But my machine is an old L'Invincible version. I took some quick measurements today, the bulk of the machine itself is about 36" wide, however you need a little extra room for the levers on one side and the grinder on the other, which gets you to about 45-46" wide. About 44" from the floor to the highest point which is the top of the grinder, and about 37" in depth.

good luck,
    JeffD

I saw your post some time ago seeing if someone had a manual to this machine. I own a Rockwell/SCM 20" planer Model S-50 and I have the manual Catalog No. 22-350 dated 6-1-77 from Rockwell.