Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Basswood within a 500 mile radius of Nashville TN

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for Basswood within a 500 mile radius of Nashville TN

Went down to the lumber distributer, where I bought $1300 of Basswood last summer, with the plan to buy about $800 worth today (that's what will fit in the bed of my truck).

I need about 800 board/feet.

They informed me that they had changed their policy a couple of months ago. They used to allow any walk in customer sale with a $200 minimum purchase.

So they gave me the name of a couple of companies that I could order the wood through. Got a quote from one of these and the wood price is 35% more than I paid previously, close to $1000 more.

So I'd like to find another source and am prepared to drive and pick up the whole load with my enclosed trailer.

Thanks

You might try Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, MI (smaller store in South Bend, IN--you could probably order & pick up there saving 100 miles or so each way). http://theworkbench.com/hardwood.php They're showing 1" Select & Better at $2.05/bf at 500 bf to 1,000 bf. Good folks, and the lumber i've gotten there has been good as well.
    earl

What about Hood Distribution. I found them on google and carry basswood. They claim they serve the Nashville area. As big as Nashville is there is bound to be a few different hardwood suppliers. Cabinet shops have to get their supplies from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    What about Hood Distribution. I found them on google and carry basswood. They claim they serve the Nashville area. As big as Nashville is there is bound to be a few different hardwood suppliers. Cabinet shops have to get their supplies from somewhere.
    That's where I bought my first batch. They are the ones who sent me packing today.

I'm not a business, so they won't let me set up an account.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    That's where I bought my first batch. They are the ones who sent me packing today.

I'm not a business, so they won't let me set up an account.
    Yea, you see a lot of that. I have a business and some vendors won't sell to you until they send a salesman to your shop. I just don't bother with them, if they don't want my business any more than that I will go elsewhere.

I know it's a long way but you might find the number for Frank Paxton Lumber in St. Louis, MO. I don't know if they would sell to you but I know the wood would be good. Probably if you bought enough they would deliver to you. At one time I used to live in Southern Illinois and they supplied lumber to the high school shop there.

I can't suggest a place in your area, but I got mine at Hearne not long ago...really excellent. The 8/4 was $6 a board foot if I recall and they do ship.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds like they only deal with businesses now. You might just want to ask a local cabinet place to place the order for you in their name and then you go pick it up. Work out the payment in advance plus a gratuity. Anything from a few boxes of doughnuts to $100 for their time. ($100 is cheaper than the gas for 500 miles)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wawro View Post
    Sounds like they only deal with businesses now. You might just want to ask a local cabinet place to place the order for you in their name and then you go pick it up. Work out the payment in advance plus a gratuity. Anything from a few boxes of doughnuts to $100 for their time. ($100 is cheaper than the gas for 500 miles)
    That's one of my back up plans. The guy who built all our cabinets, when we remodeled 4 bathrooms a couple of years ago, offered me that privilege, so I may be calling in a favor tomorrow. Not sure whether he can help, but it's worth a try.

Call state forestry dept, as in most locals, they maintain a list of vendors who can supply your needs.

try a Craig's list search with that radius. I recently saw an adv. for basswood in Hagerstown, MD.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    That's one of my back up plans. The guy who built all our cabinets, when we remodeled 4 bathrooms a couple of years ago, offered me that privilege, so I may be calling in a favor tomorrow. Not sure whether he can help, but it's worth a try.
    I suggest you actually do this, not just for this transaction, but "making nice" with a local cabinet shop like that can net you some pretty nice "scrap" material sometimes which for the small shop or hobbyist is a boon. While I do have accounts (and did even before starting my part-time business), there are times when "my" suppliers can't provide what I need, so I turn to a couple of other local folks who use different suppliers. Both have gifted me some pretty darn nice surplus material that would have gone in the trash otherwise. One of them subcontracts a little bit of work to me, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Suwanee Lumber in Suwanee GA

I was there the other day. They had a lot of basswood. I think it was $1.89 bf. This was S4S. The also sell rough lumber which would be even cheaper, very friendly folks, give them a call.

13. Call Jeffries Woodworks in Knoxville. I've had great luck with them, and while I've never bought Basswood, they always have a large selection of it in the corner. Multiple thicknesses, etc.

Try, http://www.schallerhardwood.com/Scha...mber_List.html
    I was in business when I bought from them in the mid 90s, but have no idea what their policy is now.

There is 4 lots of basswood on auction at IRS Auctions in Ware Shoal, SC. Looks reasonably priced so far.