Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Basswood within a 500 mile radius of Nashville TN

Hi Chris
    You're using a lot of Basswood for someone whose not in business. Are you making horse stalls of it? It might be time to create a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Hi Chris
    You're using a lot of Basswood for someone whose not in business. Are you making horse stalls of it? It might be time to create a business.
    There's a bit of humor in that in case it isn't obvious...horse stalls made from basswood would be lucky to last a day, especially for a cribber. (wood chewer...) They'd be carving that stuff up really fast! (it is, after all, a great carving wood)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There's a bit of humor in that in case it isn't obvious...horse stalls made from basswood would be lucky to last a day, especially for a cribber. (wood chewer...) They'd be carving that stuff up really fast! (it is, after all, a great carving wood)
    Ha! Just imagining basswood around my horse Sugar - she would flatten the top rail of steel corral panels. And fortunately I don't have a kicker so I lined the stalls with virginia pine from my sawmill - I know people with feisty stallions who use 2" thick oak.

JKJ

I'm building Plantation Shutters for my house. These pictures were from my first batch, 11 windows, now I'm doing the rest of the house, about 15 windows.

I called a few places, recommended above in this thread, the price quoted was very close to what the third party, that I was going to have to go through, was quoting me, so I bought 430 bd/ft and picked in up this past Friday. This should build all my frames rails and stiles. Then it'll be easier to estimate how much more I need to cut the louvers.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 11-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.

I was in West Penn Hardwoods (Conover, NC - Hickory) the other day and they had basswod on sale. They could probably supply you with a large quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vsoika View Post
    I was in West Penn Hardwoods (Conover, NC - Hickory) the other day and they had basswod on sale. They could probably supply you with a large quantity.
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind for my next load. I figure it'll probably be a couple of months before I need that.

Blog Entries
    Any specific reason you are using basswood exclusively?

That's what seems as the recommended material, it's very light weight, machines easily and was relatively cheap, $1.65bd/ft on my initial phase, $2.50bd/ft on this batch. Still works out to about $250 per window in wood and many of these are 6' x 6'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    That's what seems as the recommended material, it's very light weight, machines easily and was relatively cheap, $1.65bd/ft on my initial phase, $2.50bd/ft on this batch. Still works out to about $250 per window in wood and many of these are 6' x 6'.
    I mainly asked because locally poplar is cheaper than basswood, and more dent resistant.

Fantastic looking shutters!!

JKJ

You might want to look into setting up a dba (doing business as). Cost in most states is very little and it might be enough to be a "business" with your local wood source. https://startupsavant.com/how-to-file-a-tennessee-dba/

DBA could be useful for establishing accounts with "vendor" only suppliers, but be aware of minimum purchase expectations, etc. DBA is not sufficient for a 'real' business, however...that requires consultation with an accountant and perhaps an attorney, depending on the state, do insure there is understanding around taxation and other legal requirements. Much has changed in the tax codes in recent years and that has significant effect on what might be the best small business arrangement, too. Sole proprietorships and some LLC arrangements no longer have the same level of tax benefit as they did in the past.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have you tried Middle Tn lumber? They are in Dickson Tn. I buy a lot of lumber there. Called and they have some in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Walker View Post
    Have you tried Middle Tn lumber? They are in Dickson Tn. I buy a lot of lumber there. Called and they have some in stock.
    Cool, called them this morning, they have 6/4 that is 10% cheaper than the 5/4 I just bought. That's where I'll go for my next batch.

Thanks much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Cool, called them this morning, they have 6/4 that is 10% cheaper than the 5/4 I just bought. That's where I'll go for my next batch.

Thanks much appreciated.
    What is there price for 6/4?