Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Better way to hold down work - Vacuum Pods?

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    Saw a Youtube Video where a CNC Guy used two pieces of wide blue painters tape on each piece with fast acting glue between. When done the tape releases pretty easy.
    That's the "masking tape and superglue" method referenced in the very first post by the OP.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    Saw a Youtube Video where a CNC Guy used two pieces of wide blue painters tape on each piece with fast acting glue between. When done the tape releases pretty easy.
    Al, I use that technique quite a bit and it's indeed very effective.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I do quite a bit of 3D carving, and I don't use glue or tape or a vacuum. Sometimes old school is best. I know that the prevailing wisdom is not to use fasteners where a spinning bit can contact it, but, if you know where your tool path is and do a preview, seems like an over reaction.

The solution I use is to modify the spill board with a grid of 1/4" x 20 tee nuts as shown in this photo of my Shopbot desktop. Since I always use a 2" offset, two of the clamps are always out of the way. It's very versatile and only limited by your imagination. You can make different length arms and different length screws for different thickness stock. Certainly cheaper than a vacuum pump and very quiet.

holddown.jpg
    Last edited by Pete Taran; 11-12-2019 at 3:53 PM.