Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool gloat-- L-N planes

Tool gloat-- L-N planes

I don't usually post gloats, but this one was amazing. All of these are Lie Nielsen and came brand new, in their boxes from a sale. A couple appear to have been unwrapped and used maybe once, others were never unwrapped as far as I could tell. Several are duplicates of planes I already have and will find new homes eventually. My BIL bought a bunch of the large power tools from the same sale, as well as a huge number of chisels and lathe tools, all of great quality. I'm looking forward to trying out that dovetail saw, the ones I have now are junk.

IMG_1608.jpg

How useful is the skew block plane (#140)? It seems like it would be much harder to sharpen for little advantage vs just twisting an unskewed plane in use.

Congratulations on your big score!
    I have that DT saw - I bet you'll like it!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    The skewed block plane is one of my favorites. It is not hard to sharpen. Either get the Veritas jig for skewed blades or the LN jig with the skewed jaws, or just freehand it.

So, how much did ya pay, if I may ask?

Blog Entries
    A #140 can be very handy for working on tenons. One side comes off so it can work up to the edge. Not something that can be done by just skewing a standard block plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    So, how much did ya pay, if I may ask?
    $415 for what you see plus a brand new Gast vacuum pump and two new vacuum veneering bags. The boxes were marked with the retail prices, so it wasn't like the seller didn't have an idea what they were worth. I just paid the asking price with a smile and we were both happy.

What a score! If I was you I'd buy a lottery ticket and start looking in barns for seldom driven Corvettes.

Is there a backstory? Was a family clearing out Grandad's shop after his demise? Spiteful wife selling a cheater's collection just to chap his hide?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    $415 for what you see plus a brand new Gast vacuum pump and two new vacuum veneering bags.
    New Duck!!!

That is a great gloat worthy find.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sweet! LN tools are the most beautiful to me. And the few of his tools that I own are a joy to use.

Congratulations! I wish I could fall into something like that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I can't tell from the picture, is that a #6 or #7? Regardless, that is one heck of a deal.

Wow, you hit the motherlode! That’s over $2,000 worth of tools. I have both the right and left hand #140s. Very versatile planes. Use them a lot. In addition to what Jim noted, they’re great for squaring up the edges of short boards. Because they’re skewed, they work equally well on long and end grain. Can also bevel an edge by adding an auxiliary fence.

Well done. That really is the score of scores. I have all of those shown, other than the jointer. Does your skew have the nicker? It is a handy tool. Prior to getting the 140 I figured I could work up to an edge with the chisel plane. Wrong again! I am thinking of sending my older model in to get the nicker installed. It is interesting to think of the plans the original purchaser must have had and what got in the way of them. A friend just bought some new tools from the son of a retiree. He bought a shop full of tools intending to get into it and then sat in front of a tv until the end, never using any of them. Sad. I guess that is why we work the sales. If you haven't done so, I would suggest that you run up to Warren, ME and visit LN's factory. It is adult Candyland. Take only one credit card. The one with the lowest limit. I bought their honing guide and have been very pleased with it.

Yes, the skew plane has the nicker. Guess I'll use it on my next project and see what I think. I have the Veritas jig, so need to look for the parts to do skews.

The big plane is a #7. I already have a Stanley #6 and #8C, so I'm well equipped with gigantic planes!

The fellow who had them died, from the looks of his shop he was a serious tool addict. Looked like he was also getting work done, but that basement was jammed! We saw it after the contractor working on the house had taken his pick and there was still barely room to walk. There are still more hand tools, but we can't seem to get the guy managing the sale to price them for us-- it took about 4 months to negotiate this part of the sale. He's not in a hurry. We are still prodding him at regular intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    How useful is the skew block plane (#140)? It seems like it would be much harder to sharpen for little advantage vs just twisting an unskewed plane in use.
    This plane is famous for the "140 trick" -- where the side is removed and a shallow rabbett is cut to help in aligning pin and tail boards.
    Derek Cohen mentions seeing it in an old Cosman video, and I've also seen this mentioned as a technique used by Alan Peters.
    I believe I saw this in one of Fidgin's books and then snapped up a used skew plane when someone listed it in a forum.

I will confess that I haven't used it much, but I'd recommend trying it out now that you've got the plane...

(watch out for the corner of the bladle -- pretty sharp)

Matt

15. 140 is good for working across grain when needing to stay square to the edge, for example for modifying a tenon or cutting a very shallow "cheek" to prepare a board for dovetails.