Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Sanding Belts

Replacing Sanding Belts

My portable sander uses 4" x 24" belts. Long before the grit is worn out the splice usually breaks. I resplice with glue and get a little more out of it but not a lot. If I had some better tape for the back side it would help. This is the case with a variety of brands and grits. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    This comes up from time to time, so it's not like you are the only one, but I've never had a belt come apart on me. I use Klingspor, & have some that are well over 10 years old. I have no suggestion, other than to do a search for older threads where this is discussed at some length.

I can't remember the last time I had a belt come apart on my belt sander. I have a Porter Cable that uses those same 4 x 24 belts. I primarily use the blue zirconium belts made by 3M and they last for a very long time. Depending on who the manufacturer of your belts is, maybe a change might be a solution.

Clint

Not to insult you, however is the belt marked for direction?

Regards, Rod

Belts seem to have a shelf life. I just went through 10 Klingspor 180 belts Saturday. I’ve had them for several years having bought them at a bargain. Some broke she I pulled the trigger some within 1 minute.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

One at a woodworkers meeting, Coleman from Klingspor said that the Kelvar used to join the splices in belts has about a 1 year life. At the factory, they keep it in a freezer till needed. Somewhere, a tip was to use bias tape to repair the splice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    My portable sander uses 4" x 24" belts. Long before the grit is worn out the splice usually breaks. I resplice with glue and get a little more out of it but not a lot. If I had some better tape for the back side it would help. This is the case with a variety of brands and grits. Any suggestions?
    Are the belts you are using directional. Some belts you have to be sure they run in a particular direction. It may be the belts are just defective. I would use them up and try to find a better brand. I'm using Mirka brand belts and haven't had a problem with them coming apart and they are kept where it is especially humid.

Time and moisture are both mortal enemies of some brands of sanding belt. New belt created and used in the summer seem to work without trouble in Central California. Some older belt, not stored in conditioned space, used in the cooler, more moist winter seem to fail much faster.
    Therefore, I try to keep my belts in a condition atmosphere year-round.
    Last edited by Ira Matheny; 11-04-2019 at 9:05 PM. Reason: clarification

Thanks all.
    My shop is A/C so that's good. The three failed belts I have are a few years old and no brand. The Gator Grip belts on my stationary sander hold up great. Sounds like Klingspor is not a good bet. Guess I'lll try Mirka. Their Abranet disks are good.

Blog Entries
    Klingspor and VSM are the most common in the cabinet shop..Mirka is not. There more expensive...

You can't get VSM, so Klingspor is your best bet. New belts don't fail. New/ old stock can fail but are sold on Ebay... Cabinet shops generally pay $12-$15 a box of 10 depending if there 80 grit or less if you get into a box of 60 grit you may only get 5 in a box ...

Blog Entries
    Never had a Klingspor belt fail & I have used them when many years old.

Blog Entries
    I bought a box of 20 VSM 6x80x80 off ebay about 10-12 years ago. This year I had about almost all break at the seam.klingspor will sell me individuals for about $15 each...

I buy a lot off EBAY and they are old stock when I purchase them....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Belts seem to have a shelf life. I just went through 10 Klingspor 180 belts Saturday. I’ve had them for several years having bought them at a bargain. Some broke she I pulled the trigger some within 1 minute.
    I totally agree with Steve on the shelf life thing. I went through 4 belts in one day, all unused but probably 10 years old. I have a 6x48 with 2hp driving and its kinda exciting when they go, especially when you're not expecting it... Now I only buy one when I need it. No 2 or 5 packs. Randy
    Last edited by Randall J Cox; 11-10-2019 at 12:42 AM. Reason: clarity

14. Wow, I have never had a problem with breakage at the seam on 4" belts. I have worn out many a belt with the seam still intact. Maybe I have been lucky.

HAVE HAD 3 BATCHES OF KLINGSPOR BELTS BREAK ON ME. 3x24,ALL AT OR OVER 1 YEAR OLD
    ALL were bought from Klingspor, direct out of the catalog, as box of belts, 36 belts, 6 of each grit.
    Only time they have held up was IF I used one and changed it out with minimal use, then it would work a couple of years later
    OTHERWISE EVERY ONE BROKE THE SPLICE, MOST WITHIN MINUTES
    I will only buy what I need and can use in a couple of months now. No more selections of 36 belts no matter how good the price.
    Have passed all of the broken belts on to the wood shop in the high school at work.
    Buy wide belts from 2sand.com and have broken belts primarily when first getting used to it and trying to hog with a belt 100 grit or finer. Then the splices let go