Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing Sanding Belts

i have had good luck using super glue to re-glue the tape back to the belt

I have approximately 300 sanding belts mostly 80's and 120 grit. Some are close to 50 years old. When I was working they used them to sand denim material on paper supercalendar rolls at our Paper mill. They used them one time and threw them in the garbage barrel. I and my father would take them and blow them out with compressed air. They were like brand new after this. The glue on the joints have dried out and will break at the splice if used in a belt sander but, I have used them for hand sanding. They are the "cloth" belts. I am curious if anyone has tried to "re-glue" the splices. I have tried formica glue but, it still does not hold. I see someone has tried super glue. These belts do have the directional arrow so, I am running them in the correct direction.
    Any other suggestions???? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    I totally agree with Steve on the shelf life thing. I went through 4 belts in one day, all unused but probably 10 years old. I have a 6x48 with 2hp driving and its kinda exciting when they go, especially when you're not expecting it... Now I only buy one when I need it. No 2 or 5 packs. Randy
    Same for me. I just used up the last of a 6x48 5 pack i bought 30 years ago. The 4x21 I have are ~10 years old and none have failed at the seam. I never heard of Klingspor before today but they don't make the top reviews on Amazon. 3m seems to be one of the better reviewed brands.

I guess I've been lucky. I bought about 20 or more 36 grit 4x36 sanding belts from the dollar store, they were old stock and are several years older now but I've never had one break. I don't use that sander all the time like I used to before I got the drum sander, but there are certain jobs for which it's still handy.
    Zach

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    Same for me. I just used up the last of a 6x48 5 pack i bought 30 years ago. The 4x21 I have are ~10 years old and none have failed at the seam. I never heard of Klingspor before today but they don't make the top reviews on Amazon. 3m seems to be one of the better reviewed brands.
    Klingspor sells to the industry lke VSM. Personally I could care less about AMAZONS review. I've used them in an industrial setting and know they work fine....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    Generally, 3m stuff is top drawer, but in my experience Klingspor has them beat. And Amazon ratings? Really, your better off just ignoring them, or taking them with a mountain of salt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Generally, 3m stuff is top drawer, but in my experience Klingspor has them beat. And Amazon ratings? Really, your better off just ignoring them, or taking them with a mountain of salt.
    3m stuff is great, but so expensive. Klingspor you can afford to break a belt once in a while or sand glue off...

That is the point

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Belts seem to have a shelf life. I just went through 10 Klingspor 180 belts Saturday. I’ve had them for several years having bought them at a bargain. Some broke she I pulled the trigger some within 1 minute.
    Perfect.

Some belts states shelf life so small as a couple of years. The villain is the adhesive and the effect of the storage humidity.

My storage of Porter Cable belts after only twenty years could not survive higher than one minute at my sander.

Blog Entries
    There cheap enough yet not so cheap as to waste them. Finding a deal is a good thing but unless you are using a lot at a time or buying enough to finish the job and having a source to get more would make the most sense