Thread: Pecan bowl finished

Pecan bowl finished

The pecan bowl I posted about some time back has been finished for some time but I never got around to sending images.
    There is a lot to things wrong with the bowl but the wife likes it and she gets the final vote.
    Something I don't like about the bowl is the thickness of the sides and the bottom. One of the things I didn't anticipate is how out of balance adding a lot of coffee grounds and glue would make the bowl This made for lots of whomp, whomp, whomp with the whole piece threatening to come off the lathe. Shear cutting was impossible for me at least.
    Having said all that I did enjoy working on the piece and learned a lot in the process.
    My phone camera is the best I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work. Ive got some spalted pecan in my shop and it always has some of the orange that you have in yours. Thanks for sharing

I'm a little surprised the fill created that much imbalance, but looks like you worked through it well. Nice spalting, I can see why you wanted to save it.

Turned out real well. Never heard of anyone mixing coffee grounds and glue for putty though. A lot of people mix sawdust and glue but I never liked it since the glue usually makes a glue stain. On a large fill I normally mix a universal tinting color to bondo for the fill.

Spalted wood is close to rot. Chances are if you had turned the sides thinner it would have come apart on you.

>Chances are if you had turned the sides thinner it would have come apart on you.

My thought exactly. The whole piece seemed fragile.