Thread: Chuck is not running true

Chuck is not running true

I have a barracuda2 chuck that I use with a spindle adapter. Here recently, it has begun to wobble slightly. Everything is screwed together tight. Any suggestions to get the chuck to run true again? Thanks

Start with cleaning the threads on the chuck and spindle. Then take off all the jaws and clean the backs of the jaws and chuck body.

You said you have a spindle adaptor. What I think of a spindle adaptor is you have one thread on the lathe but the chuck had different threads. If you are using an adaptor maybe the adaptor is not true when you get the chuck extended out. I had a PSI Barracuda and it had a fixed 1" 8TIP. As suggested above start with cleaning your threads with a brass brush both inside and out. Make sure the chuck is tight against the head stock and if you are using some kind of adaptor that the chuck is tight against the adaptor.

Are you using a washer where the adapter meets the spindle? They can cause run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    Are you using a washer where the adapter meets the spindle? They can cause run out.
    Check for nicks and burrs too.

Thanks to all who responded. I was able to reduce the wobble by cleaning the spindle threads and blowing out the chuck. Must have had a build up of dust inside the chuck body. This community is a great source of knowledge for beginner turners.