Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The start of a build

Steve, not a dumb suggestion. I have a “kit” from Felder, which consists of an insert for the groove, to which a ply table is added. This creates a table on a table, with the upper table able to increase the distance of the slide. I have not made it up yet because I view it primarily for sheet goods, which I rarely use (also, there is the method described here). Adding a table will reduce blade height, which would affect breaking down the rough sawn timber I begin with.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    Ok maybe a dumb question but would a long crosscut sled work in the slider groove to gain another foot or so of capacity?
    That is a valid method that some folks with short-sliders use to increase wagon-based ripping capacity. But the OP is kinda doing that without the sled if you visualize what he describes.

Edit...and now I see he addressed that, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the explanation, I’m not familiar with these machines so I find it interesting to see the different methods and the reasoning behind them. Even if it’s just ripping some lumber

Steve
    That's an inspirational question. On my traditional TS I use a (one sided) crosscut sled. It is 3/16" thick plywood so it does not take away much depth. But it is only about 24" square and has no clamping capability so ripping on it is limited to short wide pieces. If I make a long sled and configure for clamping or an adjustable fence on it I will be able to do more.

Derek
    Thanks for the thread, yours are always enjoyable and educational. BTW yur editor missed a typo back there

Tom