Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta table saw pulley question

Delta table saw pulley question

Hello,
    first time posting here.
    I am rebuilding an old 34-410 delta saw, would anyone know what size the pulleys are suppose to be? I need to replace the one on the motor which is 3" & the arbor is 2.5"

i tried contacting in-line industries, but did not get a response

thanks, tom
    I TYPE IN "CAPS" BECAUSE I'M LEGALLY BLIND

What is the blade diameter and the motor rpm?
    Bill D

Blog Entries

There is a pulley set for a Delta contractor's saw in the Iturra Designs catalog (page 218). I bought a pulley set some years ago for a Jet contractor's saw, but I can't remember where I bought it. They say the second thing to go is your memory! The order line shown on the Iturra Designs catalog (which is pretty old) is 904-642-2802.

Thanks for the reply guys, the blade dia is 10", & the motor rpm is 3450.
    I bought this a few months ago, so i don't know what's been altered

I found some pulleys on zoro & amazon, does the pitch matter that much, or the width of the belt? I think the one on my saw is about 1/2" wide

Don't buy the cast aluminum pulleys. Get machined steel pulleys in the sizes that you need. They will run smoother with much less vibration, and last longer, likely longer than the rest of the saw. The link belts will also give you less vibration than the regular V belts. Vibration in a table saw can cause blade wobble and wider un-smooth cuts. A few dollars more at purchase time, but you will thank me every time you use that saw after you install them.

Charley

back when I bought a contractors sw in 1986 I also bought a set of machined pulleys and a link belt, sure smoothed that saw out.
    Probably still available from someone if you do some searching.
    one possibility https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_link_belt_pulley.html

While machined steel sheaves are nice, cast iron sheaves are more common, and can be had from any industrial supply house. They also are "machined."

An alternative to link belts (kinda $$) are AX or 'cogged' belts. Regular V belts will take a set if the machines they are on are not used for extended periods of time. After sitting the belts may cause a vibration until run for a while and the set is gone. Link belts and AX belts don't take a set.

https://www.grainger.com/category/po...&filters=attrs

Thanks for the ongoing info guys,
    i installed a gates cast pulley i got from amazon, & it seems to run real well even with the old beat up belt. Doesn't seem to be any vibration, but i am getting a sort of vibration noise. It seems to quiet down as i lift the motor plate slightly.

I did try a link belt years ago, i got it from woodworkers warehouse when they were still in business. I didn't care for it, it seemed to cause vibration more than cure it, were there brands on link belts back in the early 90's that were junk?
    How do you guys line up the pulleys? I used a steel carpenter square

Sure, line up with any straightedge. I agree with Curt on the AX cogged belts. Probably better than the link belts. Your old belt is soft and maybe a little narrower than a new one so it takes less set. The noise could indicate a bad bearing.

Thanks tom,
    i ordered an ax belt & it came today. With the new belt the saw vibrates more than the old one, it did come in a small box & it was folded in half. Is there a break-in time for this? I ran the saw for a few mins, but it didn't seem to matter. SHOULD I JUST LEAVE IT ON THE SAW WITH THE WEIGHT OF THE MOTOR?
    The other noise turned out to be the tilt wheel nut came loose

Vibration is probably not coming from the belt. Almost everybody leaves the motor weight on the belt all the time. In a cold shop that could cause a little vibration for a minute or so but not too severe.

Could be an unbalanced motor or blade. Take off the blade to see if that's it. Take off the belt to test the motor. With both removed see if there is any wiggle in the arbor shaft or the arbor mounting.

Something that will help is slowing down the blade, but that's another whole discussion.