Thread: 60x60 shop coming together.

Blog Entries

60x60 shop coming together.

If you have followed me, you know that I have built surfboards in my kitchen, kayaks on my porch, and at times set up the saw in my bedroom. Well folks, things just got real. I now have almost 3600 sft to play in. A few buddies and I decided to pool our money and tools and go in on three adjoining bays, each being 20x60’. We are sharing everything, and it’s perfect. When we combine our big equipment, we have almost the perfect setup: 12” jointer, 15” planer, 10” Unisaw, two Rikon bandsaws, three drill presses (one huge, one large dedicated to mortising, and one tiny benchtop) edge sander, thickness sander.... and so on. We are taking over a former cabinet shop. It started out as one bay, and we asked the landlord for a deal on two bays, and today we agreed to make it three, since the three are already joined and so we don’t need to wall off to make two.

The downside is this guy fed stray cats inside the shop and kept the windows open so they could come and go. It was absolutely filthy and disgusting. When we pressure washed the thing, I had to wear a full face respirator mask. In addition to the cat pee and poop, there were roaches galore. We decided to nearly gut the place. The walls were full of roach poop. It was awful. We sprayed, we bleached, we sprayed, and we bleached. I scraped and swept and vacuumed every inch of the floors and painted them, and blew out all the rafters with a powerful leaf blower.

The original shop had a 15x18 finish room that had apparently never been cleaned in 15 years. There are no words. I wanted to keep it, but we decided to rip it out and downsize it to 10x20, as the support beams are 20’ OC with a smaller beam at 10’.

Before pics:

looking west- to left is a roughly 15x15 room with entry door, then a roughly 15x18 open area, then a 15x18 spray room. That part of the building is notched so it’s not quite 60’ deep. Forward of that is a 20x60 open area.

DB3AB827-7846-40D3-AC96-5731EA69F16C.jpg

Looking north, spray room is in the back left corner. To the right is another bay20x40’. We weren’t originally going to use that bay, and were going to wall it off. That changed today after talking to the landlord. I think when he saw us painting and cleaning he liked us more. The edge banner and Steel City bandsaw are not staying.

349AEB6D-09C0-4DA4-BFF7-C15C56CCD62F.jpg

I don’t have a pic of the other bay except I took one of the cabinet saw and you can see the bay in the background.

71DFB2D2-C6C0-48FB-971B-4208930849D1.jpg

All Ll lighting is LED, which saves a ton of money here where power is $0.52/kWh after they add fuel surcharges and other add-on fees.

The spray room had an old exhaust fan that was so covered in overspray that you had to turn it on and then help it by spinning it. It’s in the trash now.

2E6AA2F4-B3B3-45CF-B3C1-EB6148885C00.jpg

Cat feeding station. Double glass doors behind that open to spray room.

0E09CE04-2DB0-4051-A8A3-0834B5AA2055.jpg

Will post a reply with updated pics below- there is a limit to pics per post.

Blog Entries
    This is still a project, but I took out the spray room, cleaned and cleaned, and painted the floors. Still have to paint the spray room, which was so bad I had to do more scraping of the floor. That far window will be in the new finish room, but will be covered and only have a hole for a fan. The opposite wall will have the double glass doors and filtered vent holes in the walls. The new wall will go between the two windows and will have my slatwall from my current shop, and that area will be the hand tool area.

75806957-1848-4F41-9C49-8E45E75CB34C.jpg

I put wire in the windows to keep out the cats. No, I am not fixing the glass. It’s open air.

D1C680C9-27BF-469E-B3EC-A27E8C7099AA.jpg

Painted the floors.

18307F66-5E5D-44E3-A57A-F2D621F11C66.jpg 64E5A3C7-2B6F-45BE-AC9E-737CFD757ABA.jpg

Here is the pile for the trash:

613BB34A-415D-4B99-B067-BB6620A241EB.jpg

Stay tuned!

edit: it has a bathroom! That’s a plus. I will add an industrial sink in the spray room and probably another in the hand tool room for soaking water stones.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 11-02-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Looking really really good Malcolm! I’m super jealous as I’m stuck in a spare bedroom with no room for larger tools for the next year or so. I might have to stop by just to daydream a little lol

What a wonderful opportunity for the group of you to have a large, open and flexible shop space to share!!! I would imagine everyone's work will improve with the "extra expertise" floating about to call upon, too. Congratulations! I'm glad you're all cleaning it up and getting the paint in there...that will make the space even more enjoyable for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is an awesome space. Good for you. Enjoy.
    Regards,

Kris

Wow. 3600 sq ft. I'm green with envy. Nice idea to pool resources with your buddies.

Great job ,and congrats!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    Looking really really good Malcolm! I’m super jealous as I’m stuck in a spare bedroom with no room for larger tools for the next year or so. I might have to stop by just to daydream a little lol
    Ive been using a spare bedroom shop for years. Hang in there and make what ya can with what ya have. I hope one day you happen upon something like I did. Hopefully if you are married, you have an understanding wife like me who allows table saws in the bedroom occasionally, as for me that’s the longest straight run in the house for long rip cuts. By the way, getting her to buy off on this new shop was easy. “You mean no more table saws in the bedroom? I’m in.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What a wonderful opportunity for the group of you to have a large, open and flexible shop space to share!!! I would imagine everyone's work will improve with the "extra expertise" floating about to call upon, too. Congratulations! I'm glad you're all cleaning it up and getting the paint in there...that will make the space even more enjoyable for sure.
    It is a perfect mix. One guy is a welder. He mainly uses it for storage, but there is a concrete dock outside where he can weld. Good to have a welder on hand. The only issue there was when he brought in his metalworking lathe, and the wood plank on the base had termite damage. I said, “hey, you can’t bring that in here if it has termites!” He said, “They don’t bother my stuff.” That was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    That is an awesome space. Good for you. Enjoy.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Wow. 3600 sq ft. I'm green with envy. Nice idea to pool resources with your buddies.

Great job ,and congrats!
    If you have a few folks you really trust, it’s a great way to set up an amazing shop where all benefit. The coincidence of each one having one tool the others didn’t worked out very well.

Blog Entries
    We built the walls for the spray booth today, but I am going to gambrel the ceiling to reduce volume. I found an explosion proof motor to go in the fan that I pulled out of the old booth to make it a proper spray booth fan. I do not know the CFM’s so I’m going to just experiment with it and see what happens. I need 8,000 CFM to provide 100fpm airflow. That’s a lot. The motor I ordered is more hp and more rpm than the old one. I hope it works, as these fans are expensive.

The former shop shop owner left behind a bunch of pre-fab cabinets. I made a deal to get those and some laminated plywood for $500. There is also enough white Formica to do most of the spray booth walls in Formica.

I found water lines and a drain in the wall already. There will be a laundry style sink in both rooms under each window. One is in the spray room, the other where my sharpening station will be. The spray room is designed so you can wash it down if you need to.

5712D4A8-911C-4E07-9693-FBC88A21897D.jpg 70B36116-B0AC-449D-B694-FA6BBD6BAD74.jpg 1B05069C-B96E-4B1B-83B7-795686CB05D8.jpg A38A0D39-E4B9-4FF8-95E0-2111F215D844.jpg

We we also moved the cabinet saw and resurfaced the outfeed table. Pics will come later.

Blog Entries
    Got the purlins in the ceiling for the finish room/spray booth so we can make it air tight. I got a deal on some 3/4” ply for $17.50 a sheet, so I bought two lifts. All outer walls will be skinned in that for security and to make hanging stuff easier. If you bust through the sheet metal, you’re also going to have to bust through 3/4” plywood. We inherited some leftover door skins in the building and I will skin the ceiling in those.

FFE888A5-B6FA-4D71-9396-C097AC6080CA.jpg

Lots going on this week, so not much action will take place. I am going to start moving the wood racks from my warehouse to the shop with all the lumber for the boat build. Fun times.