Thread: Rasp and File Questions

Rasp and File Questions

I currently use a #9 rasp for curves/shapes on hardwood and want to use something with a smoother cut to follow it up with. If I am using a #9 (Liogier) now for the first pass, can I jump up to a (say) #12? Also, I would like to have a decent wood file to use on mostly hardwood and have no idea as to a decent source for this. I believe a double cut type would be best but can easily be convinced to try something else. I saw an advert for Nicholson, but wonder if their wood files have gone the way of their metal files.
    David

I really, really like the Iwasaki wood files. The extreme fine cuts leave an almost polished surface, but still remove wood.
    I also really like some heavily tapered rasps that I bought from Stew Mac, that I have no idea who made them, but they are hand stitched and cut as well as the recognized brands.

Like Tom, I am a fan of the Iwasaki Carving Files. I ordered mine from Woodcraft but there are other sources.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks gents. Iwaski it is. I am happy with the Liogier brand of rasp I have, just want to move up to a smoother grain.
    David