Thread: Which one - Porter 300C or Northfield (medium duty) 12" Jointer?

Which one - Porter 300C or Northfield (medium duty) 12" Jointer?

As mentioned in previous posts I've been looking for a better quality 12" jointer and the two mentioned above are available somewhat close by. Any opinions on one over the other? Both are direct drive powered by a 3 phase motor. I was considering a 16" but decided that a 12" will be just fine.

The Porter is similar in build to the NF heavy duty. If the MD is in much better condition I would consider it but the Porter is one of the best jointers made. Spring bed on the infeed end, 96" tables that are 7" wider than 12" used. Yoke and head adjust on the outboard end to run parallel to the tables. Original bearings were ABEC 5 oil bath and 6306 and 6308. Head is larger diameter than the NF. Dave

Blog Entries
    Unless space is a issue, the porter all day long and twice on sunday.

One thing I like about about my NF is that it breaks down into about 7 manageable pieces for moving. If you’ve got a forklift and easy access to your shop that shouldn’t matter.

My suggestion has not changed. Check the tables. When I was on the scout for my quest machine I looked at two porters both had heavy wear in their tables. One from use the other from someone using the beds for a metal work surface.
    I looked at one NF but it was out of my price range.
    I secured a 166 but not without its motor issues.

Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    As mentioned in previous posts I've been looking for a better quality 12" jointer and the two mentioned above are available somewhat close by. Any opinions on one over the other? Both are direct drive powered by a 3 phase motor. I was considering a 16" but decided that a 12" will be just fine.
    What I'm seeing is Porter went out of business in 1983. Northfield is still in business and what sets them apart is they still make the same machinery they made 60 years ago or more. There might be some differences in the motor or the electrical but if for some reason decades from now somehow the top of the jointer gets broke you can order an exact replacement. I bought a Northfield 12" jointer which was made in 1960 and all the parts would be interchangeable with what they are making today. I also bought a new Northfield shaper which was in a building the roof collapsed. One of the trusses came right down on the shaper and the only damage was a bent bolt on the hold down attachment.

The porter. Maybe the NF if it wasn't the MD.

Parts availability for one of these is a moot point.

One, no one here is going to pay the price for a new table from NF.

Two, the reality is, bearings an electrical parts will fail.
    Odds are, you are not buying a new stator from NF if the motor fails, you just have it rewound.

Blog Entries
    If you have the space get the biggest jointer than you can. My only regret in having a 16” is that I did not have space for a 24”.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    If you have the space get the biggest jointer than you can. My only regret in having a 16” is that I did not have space for a 24”.
    Yea, and when I need 16", I have to go to Brian's shop. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Porter also had a swing away guard that could be easily removed by pulling a pin. It makes it easy to run a wider board over the jointer twice. Doesn't give a perfect flat cut but good enough to get through the planer. The guard was one of the better pork chop designs. They were aluminum so you want to check it is still good. Dave