Thread: Accu-Finish grinder used in woodworking?

Accu-Finish grinder used in woodworking?

I just picked up an Accu-Finish grinder that seems primarily used in the machinist community. It's a slow speed grinder similar to a Tormek but without a water trough and flat grinds instead of hollow grinds. Has anyone used one for sharpening or honing woodworking tools?
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 11-02-2019 at 6:32 PM.

This unit is also used ny ormenental turners to sharpen the solid carbide. cutlers

After spending a little time with the Accu-Finish grinder this morning I can see that it will be more useful than first expected.

Looks similar to the Baldor tool grinder. Does it use plate mounted wheels? Note that diamond wheels will burn up if used to grind steel. Fine for carbide.
    CBN wheels will do fine on steel. Not sure how they do on carbide.
    Bil lD.

The Accu-Finish is a slow (very slow) speed grinder as opposed to the 3600 rpm Baldor tool grinder. A variety of wheels can be used with it including plate mounted diamond wheels. I wouldn't use it to form any cutting tools but it seems ideal for maintaining edges on carbide, high speed steel, etc. I have another grinder with CBN wheels for woodturning tools. I'm satisfied with that method of sharpening (for woodturning) but may give the Accu-Finish a try. However, I really think it will be great for honing hand planer blades, wood chisels and gouges, scraper blades, etc. The primary reason for purchasing the tool though was for sharpening metal lathe cutting tools, drills bits, end mills, etc. The other tasks mentioned will be a bonus.