Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spokeshave for tight curves?

Spokeshave for tight curves?

Do any contemporary manufacturers make a shave for tight curves? I had a Millers Falls cigar shave but it was all but impossible to sharpen so I sold it. I have the small LN shave and it’s decent, but won’t go as tight as I’d like. Are round rasps/files my only option?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

How tight is tight? if you get extreme, you might be better off with a different tool, such as a rasp, file or scraper.

Lee Valley make a small, curved spokeshave based on a Preston ...

My review: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...pokeshave.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have this one from LN and it's alleged to be good to 1 1/2" radius curves. I need to check it with a template as that seems inaccurate based on my use. It's a nice shave, it just doesn't seem to work in that tight a curve. Ideally, I'd like to go down to 1" radius.

spokeshave-small-bronze.jpg

Edit....

I see the Lee Valley Preston pattern shave has a 5/8 radius sole. That looks like the ticket. Thanks!
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 11-02-2019 at 9:38 PM.

For small blade honing, see "Jeweler's ring clamp".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    For small blade honing, see "Jeweler's ring clamp".
    I picked up a LN Honing guide and a set of long jaws. Shave blades are a cakewalk now. It was a real game changer. It seems that many of the problems I was experiencing with my shaves had their root in the degree of sharpness I was achieving (or not achieving). Imagine that?

@Rob what is the radius of the curve?

I'd like to go down to an inch radius. My small LN is represented to be good to 1 1/2". I took a look at it and compared it to some circle templates I have and that's probably pretty close.

You need what is known as a "cigar shave". They are about the size of an average cigar and can make shavings within a very tight radius. I have two of them: one is a Miller's Falls that works beautifully. The other is a larger version of the MF and of modern manufacture; however, I have not seen them for sale from the maker in quite a while (on the big auction site); not recalling his name----sorry. That tool is beautifully machined metal and wood. Millers Falls cigar shaves should be fairly possible to find but you need to be carefull of what you buy as very few of them have cutters that have been maintained properly.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 11-04-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added info - above shave s from Kelly Toolworks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    You need what is known as a "cigar shave". They are about the size of an average cigar and can make shavings within a very tight radius. I have two of them: one is a Miller's Falls that works beautifully. The other is a larger version of the MF and of modern manufacture; however, I have not seen them for sale from the maker in quite a while (on the big auction site); not do I recall his name----sorry. That tool is beautifully machined metal and wood. Millers Falls cigar shaves should be fairly possible to find but you need to be carefull of what you buy as very few of them have cutters that have been maintained properly.

Mike,

I expect you are referring to the WoodJoy cigar shave. While beautifully made it comes with a A2 cutter which chips very easily and is a bear to sharpen after chipping. I should check to see if Hock makes a replacement cutter out of O1 but I kinda lost interest after using Dave's Shaves #0. Next time I'm bored with nothing to do I'll check with Hock.

ken

Also see this thread regarding cigars shaves, including the one shown above:https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Curved-Shaves

"For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Ken, the one you suggest is very similar, but I'm still going with Kelly as the maker of mine. It's academic anyway, as Kelly seems to be long-gone. Does anyone know if WoodJoy is taking orders? Everything on their site is sold out. Their cigar shave looks good.

We haven't even talked about how to sharpen one of these. That's a whole thread topic of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    You need what is known as a "cigar shave". They are about the size of an average cigar and can make shavings within a very tight radius. I have two of them: one is a Miller's Falls that works beautifully. The other is a larger version of the MF and of modern manufacture; however, I have not seen them for sale from the maker in quite a while (on the big auction site); not recalling his name----sorry. That tool is beautifully machined metal and wood. Millers Falls cigar shaves should be fairly possible to find but you need to be carefull of what you buy as very few of them have cutters that have been maintained properly.
    Refer to my original post. I had a nice Millers Falls cigar shave but it was all but impossible to sharpen. I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    This looks like a nice little shave. A bit spendy though.

Glenn retired in June. It’s clearly listed on the home page of his still active website. The only place to secure Woodjoy products (of which I own several and love them) is on the auction site or equivalent.