Thread: Replacement stepper motor

Replacement stepper motor

The X axis stepper motor just kind of seized on my laser this morning, it's an 2001 Epilog. is there anyplace to purchase aftermarket parts or do I need to get it from Epilog? Thanks Jack

In general, stepper motors are somewhat standardized and you can usually find equivalent replacements, but you have to have good data on your current motor. Frame size (usually a NEMA number), steps per revolution, Unipolar or Bipolar, voltage per phase, current per phase, and/or resistance per phase. If you have a motor manufacturer and model number, you can usually find the specs. Most likely Epilog just buys the motors, so see if there is a nameplate on it.

[eta:] Epilog likely will have installed a connector on the lead wires, and that may take a little fiddling, but if it's an odd connector you could always just splice on the old one.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 11-02-2019 at 2:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    If you have a motor manufacturer and model number, you can usually find the specs...
    if you have the make & model you might just find an identical replacement online-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

It's a MOOG C13. I have found a couple that are close but nothing that matches exactly. I'll probably have to get it from epilog and pay through the nose.

go to moog.com and you may find what you are looking for, if not give them a call. No need to pay the extortion charges from Epilog!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lilley View Post
    It's a MOOG C13. I have found a couple that are close but nothing that matches exactly. I'll probably have to get it from epilog and pay through the nose.

So, not a stepper motor, but a servo-motor. Those are way less standardized than steppers. If you have the full the Moog part number you may be able to order it through one of their distributors and save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    So, not a stepper motor, but a servo-motor. Those are way less standardized than steppers. If you have the full the Moog part number you may be able to order it through one of their distributors and save a few bucks.
    You're right! I didn't know the difference between a stepper and servo but I do now. lol I do have the complete MOOG part number and thought I might call them but didn't know if they will work with individuals, won't hurt to try.