Thread: Sawstop activator and smaller diameter blades

Sawstop activator and smaller diameter blades

Hey all,

I just bought a set of Forrest flat top saw blades. They are, to my surprise, 8” blades. I am only used to the normal 10” blade. I do have their Dado King set and that is 8 inch. So my question is, can I use the 8” blades with the 8” dado activator on the Sawstop? The kit uses single blades in some configurations, and I dont know if the Sawstop device is capable of monitoring a single blade? I have to believe it can, but I am wondering if anyone else is using an 8” blade in a Sawstop saw?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    Hey all,

I just bought a set of Forrest flat top saw blades. They are, to my surprise, 8” blades. I am only used to the normal 10” blade. I do have their Dado King set and that is 8 inch. So my question is, can I use the 8” blades with the 8” dado activator on the Sawstop? The kit uses single blades in some configurations, and I dont know if the Sawstop device is capable of monitoring a single blade? I have to believe it can, but I am wondering if anyone else is using an 8” blade in a Sawstop saw?

Joe
    The diameter blade shouldn't affect the safety aspect of sawstop. It works by an electrical sensor that senses a change in conductivity. It's why they recommend turning off the sensor if you cut very wet wood or metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    The diameter blade shouldn't affect the safety aspect of sawstop.
    It's been posted previously that diameter does matter...which is why there is sometimes a special "Sawstop" version of a blade because many off-the-shelf blades are "undersized" from standard 10", for example, because they are often manufactured in metric sizing. The OP has good cause to ask the question on that basis...which I cannot answer myself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I regularly use the an 8" dado set with just one cutter. I can't imagine any reason why it would differentiate between a single dado cutter and a blade.

The sensor is actually very dependent on blades being the correct diameter, as it is sensing the charge from the spinning blade.

Blog Entries
    There is a fine adjustment for proper clearance that allows use of the slightly undersized blades. I can't see why a single 8" blade wouldn't work with the 8" dado brake cartridge, as long as it was adjusted for the specified clearance.

8 inch are fine, but you should avoid the blades with the anti kickback wings or tabs on them. You can use them but if the brake is tripped they won’t dig in as well on the aluminum brake.

You should ask Sawstop

This is what Sawstop says:

Any standard steel blade with steel or carbide teeth can be used. You should not use non-conductive blades or blades with non-conductive hubs or teeth (example: diamond blades). They will prevent the SawStop safety system from applying the electrical signal on the blade that is required to sense skin contact. Steel blades and dado sets with a lacquer finish or other coating on the teeth should not be used as the coating may inhibit or slow the speed at which the safety system detects skin contact. However, most coated blades do not cover the blade teeth. Those blades may be used on SawStop saws. Further, blades with depth-limiting shoulders may take longer to stop in the event of an accident than standard blades, and you could receive a more serious injury. Therefore, SawStop recommends using blades without depth-limiting shoulders.
    SawStop recommends only using 8” stacked dado sets, with a maximum thickness of 13/16”. “Wobble” dado sets are not recommended, as they may not engage correctly with the dado brake cartridge. Do not use dado sets with solid-plate interior chippers or blades with molding heads, as neither brake cartridge is designed to stop those blade types.