Thread: Planing a wood cookie

Blog Entries

Planing a wood cookie

Can I run a wood cookie through my planer? Dewalt 735. They are flattened using a router flattening jig/mill and then ran them through my drum sander with 80 grit. But are still too thick, about 2 inches. They are about 12” diameter. I’m oh have a few to do? Kind of wary about planing end grain.

You can do it but it’ll likely blow out the last bit of the cookie that goes through the planer. If I was going to try it I’d try to support the back of the cookie and put it on a sled. Still would likely blow out.

Take very light passes.

I'd go back to the router with a planing bit to get down to the desired dimension. With such a short lenth, you are very likely to get snipe on both infeed and outfeed on the planer.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Planing any kind of end grain is a very difficult task and I agree that it's likely your "cookie" will get damaged. A router based leveling setup followed by VERY sharp hand planes or a drum sander is the better choice for this
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I would sand end grain. Do you have a pad sander?

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Sanders-pol...IC5w&gclsrc=ds

If you go the planer route, I would try misting the surface you are planing with water from a spray bottle. This dampening technique has worked wonders for me when planing or routing an edge profile on end grain.

If planer snipe is a concern you could try using a fixed planer board like you would use for thin stock or a sled where you double stick tape the workpiece down and the whole sled runs through the planer. If despite using a sled you get snipe, then try again but this time double stick tape to the sled another piece of scrap the same thickness in front of the leading edge and behind the trailing edge. These sacrificial pieces will engage the rollers and prevent the snipe from affecting your workpiece, though it could be tedious to do this on several pieces.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 11-02-2019 at 7:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    The biggest danger with planing end grain is the risk of having a chunk break off the trailing edge & go bouncing around the insides of the planer, ruining knives & busting up parts inside there. Or worse, having it shoot out the back end of the planer. Go ahead & Google end grain planing for some interesting reading.

You could mount them on a lathe and reduce their thickness.
    if they are all the same diameter, you could get a piece of wood the same height and cut a hole in the wood to set them in. Then run through the planer, changing them all out for each setting of the planer.

I would resaw on a bandsaw then use the drum sander

Forgive my ignorance and educate me. What is a "wood cookie"?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    Forgive my ignorance and educate me. What is a "wood cookie"?
    It's a piece cut off the end of a log, think of cutting firewood, instead of a 16" long piece it's 2 inches long, kind of looks like a cookie..............Rod.

Block plane or low angle jack followed by sanding.

I had a piece of oak knot blast apart and take out the fan on my Dewalt DW735. I would not risk the wood or the planer.