Thread: Part 3- Done: Pair of Quarter Sawn White Oak Greene & Greene Inspired Blanket Chests

Blog Entries

Part 3- Done: Pair of Quarter Sawn White Oak Greene & Greene Inspired Blanket Chests

This is the 3rd and last post in this build thread. I somehow misplaced the camera card so don’t have some of the final build pics. Also some technical problems with my Photobucket account so only small pictures. Chest carcass was completed in previous 2 posts/threads, this is primarily chest tops and final inlay.

I modified the original design to make these chests smaller and lighter. As one is a gift for my twenty something nephew, thought this version might be better for his apartment space. As part of the weight reduction, main carcass sides, top panel were re-sawn, book matched with the final thickness of about 7/16”.

One consequence of this design choice is I wanted to maintain the full 7/8” thickness of the breadboard ends for the top to ensure flatness, which means the breadboard ends project both above and below the horizontal surface of the panel. In the larger size versions, this isn’t a problem as the breadboard ends are outside the perimeter of the carcass and therefore don’t affect the fit of the top to the carcass. In this “lighter version”, I want to the breadboard ends to overlap the sides of the carcass for additional strength, which means I had to add a filler strip to the bottom side of the chest top panel to compensate for the additional thickness of the breadboard ends and ensure a gap free fit to the carcass. [ATTACH=CONFIG]418769Rather than measure to get the length dimension for the filler strips, I use sliding story sticks to transfer the dimension directly to the stock.

Laying out the width of chamfer on the slightly proud breadboard and using one of my favorite LV layout tools.
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]418768

Cutting and inlaying the cocobolo accent set wrap around the edges of the breadboard ends and chest top was mostly a and “eyeball” exercise in scribing the mortise directly off the layout piece and chiseling delicately.

[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]418767

Here are the finished tops with initial coat of Watco oil/varnish and my nephews name carved into the bottom of the chest top. Surface coat was brushed on lacquer for durability. The rest are pictures of the finished chest.
    [/ATTACH]5.jpg4 (2).jpg3 (2).jpg2 (2).jpg1 (2).jpg

Overall a fun project, but now I have 2 chest I have no room for. One is a Christmas present that hopefully I can deliver early. The biggest challenge for me is what to do with the other chest?

I would like to try and sell it to at least recoup my material costs, but don’t know really how to go about that. This is an important challenge for me because I’ve already built pretty much full sets of furniture for both our boys and as empty-nesters looking to downsize, I’ve got no place to put any future furniture projects. I think this means I want to continue woodworking I have to figure out what to do with the projects when they are done.
    My future daughter-in-law is encouraging me to post them on at Etsy (which I understand is an online marketplace for “craft” items). Although I have little interest in anything involving online commerce, because my professional life has been spent largely in sales and marketing and because I’ve already pretty much given away as much furniture as friends/family are willing to take, I’m wondering if there is some “low effort” way I can sell this chest and other future woodworking projects. I very much appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Thanks for looking, all the best
    Mike

PS: I can't figure out how to move the pictures within the text so they line up with descriptions. If I recall correctly, they used to be little picture thumbnails you could drag and drop around but I don't see those anymore? Am I doing this wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (166.3 KB, 26 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (180.4 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (123.0 KB, 20 views)

Blog Entries
    Here are the pictures I couldn't figure out how to attach appropriately above:15.jpg14.jpg13.jpg13.5.jpg12.jpg10 (2).jpg9.jpg9 (2).jpg

As always Mike, great work. Your nephew will keep this forever I bet. Don't know about selling the leftover. Is there some type of consignment place you could leave it? Not saying that is the place, but I noticed my local "Mail Store" has lots of smaller pottery, candle stuff, small wooden boxes, etc in the store. The owner said local craftsmen put their work in his store and they have some type of revenue splitting in place. Edit after more photos showed up: Oh yes, very nice indeed. The rays pop out, the plugs stamp the G&G style on the case and the whole thing seems to hang together visually and structurally.
    Last edited by David Eisenhauer; 11-01-2019 at 8:47 PM.
    David

Blog Entries
    Your nephew should be very happy to have one of these.

PS: I can't figure out how to move the pictures within the text so they line up with descriptions. If I recall correctly, they used to be little picture thumbnails you could drag and drop around but I don't see those anymore? Am I doing this wrong?
    You need to have the attachment uninterrupted by the text. You have text between the first part and the last part of the indicator for the begin [ATTACH=CONFIG] and the closer [/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]418767

Here are the finished tops with initial coat of Watco oil/varnish and my nephews name carved into the bottom of the chest top. Surface coat was brushed on lacquer for durability. The rest are pictures of the finished chest.
    [/ATTACH]
    With the text moved outside of the "instruction code" it looks like this:

6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg

If you do a reply with quote to my post, you will see the "raw" text of how it looks.

The way to get them with the text around them depends on whether you use the little tree icon or the paper clip icon. With the tree, set the cursor to where you want the image to appear then click the tree to load the attachment. With the paper clip all the images can be uploaded and then selected individually to be set in the text where the cursor is located.

It seems my post in the tech forum on posting images is no longer a sticky.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-02-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks great Mike! Your nephew will be very please I'm sure.

In my small college town we have a local independent book store that sometimes has craft items for sale on consignment, so that might be an option. We also have a small co-operative gallery but I suspect those types of places have an expectation for both regular production and tending the gallery by the artists.

Good luck and thanks for sharing !
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Mike,

Add me to the list, great work as always.

ken

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

JK I appreciate your coaching on arranging the pictures and post to correspond with the text.

So far I've made zero progress on getting rid of the 2nd chest. Now I have 2 chests sitting in my office taking up space. I wish there was some kind of "galleries/consignment" space where I could put the chest for interested furniture shoppers to see. Doesn't seem like that's a very common thing in my area, but I really haven't looked yet.

I guess I'm in a just have to buckle down in dive into the online Esty world and see what I can do.

Thanks for looking, all the best,
    Mike