Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chairs finished - finally

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    very interesting. Is it because a higher back creates more of a tendency to tip back? Chair geometry fascinates (reads 'eludes') me.

Tends to elude me as well. The backs are pretty high, and heavy, which is a big part of the tippy problem. And the angle is too much - next set I'll decrease the angle the backs are at which will help a lot. As you can see the back is pretty far out from the curved leg as it hits the floor. I thought about moving the bottom side stretcher up, which would have allowed me to make a bigger curve on the bottom of the leg, thus decreasing the amount the back overhangs, but it didn't look right to me. These chairs were purely a build and learn experience. But discovering that I prefer a more level seat is something that will be included in the next set. For better or for worse - won't know till I get there.
    2019-12-03_11h28_34.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Agree 100% Edwin. We have not experienced a tendency to tip when someone is sitting in them, just when moving them. But I'm sure someone someday will lean back and then..........

I also worry about the grain pattern at the curve where it hits the floor. Didn't do a very good job of laying these out - should have tried to make the grain straight at that point, if possible. Next time I try something like this I'll laminate the legs I think. I'm worried that sooner or later I'm gonna loose a piece of the back of the leg at the floor. But I'm 72 so I'll take the over on this one, and let my kids figure it out.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

It's really hard to find a piece with the perfect grain pattern over this length - for one chair, let alone multiple.

What you might try next time is to make or buy these pieces riven from straight, green wood. It's not cheap, but you can steam bend them pretty easily. It makes for perfect looking, and the strongest grain.

In fact, if your bends are not that drastic, you may be even able to soak and steam kiln dried wood. Anyway, I appreciate the build-and-learn approach. I resemble that remark!

Great you found a way to address the issue for some otherwise good looking chairs.

Blog Entries
    Great looking chairs & great craftsmanship. You can be proud of those.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution