Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to price kitchen cabinet build

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    The small amish shops pay between 12.50 and $17, no vacation or holidays or health ins.

Land is cheap, buildings are cheap utilities are non existent
    No vacation time, holidays, and health insurance, is the way of the corporate world now. Thats nothing new to the Amish. Walmart has been holding its employees at just sub-benefits for years to keep costs down and line the pockets at the top. The real issue with the Amish is no comp, no unemployment, G/L, and so on. If I could get out from under those expenses I could cut numbers quite a bit.

Then you take into account what is in my opinion flagrant and conscious misleading and false advertising to the consumer (which other companies have been prosecuted for) and it gets worse. Heck, look back and see what Walmart got socked with when they were caught with sweatshops in NYC stitching "MADE IN THE USA" labels into their chinese clothing? How quickly the masses forget when they are kept drunk on cheap crap at the expense of other nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    utilities are non existent
    This one is one that I have long wondered if it may be the achilles heel. The Amish are paying obscenely high costs for electricity. These plants are powered by massive diesel generators sitting outside which typically run about 10X the cost of grid power on the watt for generation. Its a horrifically expense way to get electric.

My guess is there is a heavy duty conversation going on in "the community" with regards to how they can yet again bend their beliefs to allow grid connection. They are already there with cell phones, cash registers, retail shop lighting, coffee makers, on and on. The day will come when there will be a new found clause in the scripture that somehow conveniently allows 1000 amps of three phase to be piped into a pole barn that assembles furniture parts made in some eastern block nation and is shipped here, glued together, dunked in a coat of gloss polly, and smacked with an "Amish Made" sticker. Again. FTC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    We are talking two different world.

Here you can be a greater at Walmart and have a better job. It’s pretty sad that in America a person willing to work and with a honed hard earned vocation can’t do better than some guy who is willing to and knows well how to play the system and live off the dole....
    Vastly different places..
    Median household income is 47k, per capita is 23k. Houses on average are 100k but 35k for a house in the city is more than their worth. The joke growing up was your car was worth more than your house

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    This one is one that I have long wondered if it may be the achilles heel. The Amish are paying obscenely high costs for electricity. These plants are powered by massive diesel generators sitting outside which typically run about 10X the cost of grid power on the watt for generation. Its a horrifically expense way to get electric.

My guess is there is a heavy duty conversation going on in "the community" with regards to how they can yet again bend their beliefs to allow grid connection. They are already there with cell phones, cash registers, retail shop lighting, coffee makers, on and on. The day will come when there will be a new found clause in the scripture that somehow conveniently allows 1000 amps of three phase to be piped into a pole barn that assembles furniture parts made in some eastern block nation and is shipped here, glued together, dunked in a coat of gloss polly, and smacked with an "Amish Made" sticker. Again. FTC.
    Lol the ones grew up around made everything in house, no eastern bloc assembly. They also run hydraulic motors instead of generating electric off the diesel engines. Not really sure if that's better or worse.

At least in that area there's no lighting, no cash register..etc. they do have cell phones but cant keep them in the house. Each community / church / bishop has different rules though.

I never saw a black top buggy until i went east.. different sect different rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post

Have you studied the Amish doctrine Mark? My understanding is that their main belief is not to be directly connected to the outside world. There are many different branches of the religion, even Mennonites who are constantly being confused with Amish. No idea how you are aware of them discussing "bending their beliefs", nor the extent of what appliances they use. I also don't understand your condescending attitude towards them, but I'm sure they have suffered that kind of attitude often.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    The AMISH are actually buying CNC's now here in midwest....
    I have been in several that were state of the art.

Around here, some have pole power, some run off a generator, combination of hydraulic drives, air, or line shafts. Interesting how each church allows something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Have you studied the Amish doctrine Mark? My understanding is that their main belief is not to be directly connected to the outside world. There are many different branches of the religion, even Mennonites who are constantly being confused with Amish. No idea how you are aware of them discussing "bending their beliefs", nor the extent of what appliances they use. I also don't understand your condescending attitude towards them, but I'm sure they have suffered that kind of attitude often.
    They almost all have smart phones, cracks me up seeing them charge them with solar.

Glad I wasn't the only one noticing the ugly turn this conversation was taking.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Yes. Isolation from the collective good is the root of so many of our problems.

All I said was “this Amish guy” builds stuff for the same price I can buy the materials.

My bad I guess. Being the internet I should know better.

Honestly I can understand both sides.

As a human among humans I am fully sold on the simple fact that “we all bend our beliefs to suit our needs” some of us more than others but you know we all do it. If you say you don’t your clearly not capable of really being honest with yourself.

But you know, what Walmart has been doing for a long long time now coupled with corporate America bringing the same I don’t know tone/mood/reality to what where once very very desirable respectable jobs is nothing short of pathetic. Well whats pathetic is that our government not only in many ways supports and condones passing these loopholes into laws that allow for what has happened to the working people of America.

But worse once these loopholes are identified our dam Congress people can’t be held accountable to anything more than protect the trajectory of their own carriers and livelihoods. So much for public servants.

What we have is a universal “human” problem that one group or simply the Amish can not be held responsible for or made a example of at the expense of a much larger problem within the makeup of our so called democracy and society as a whole.

Take it one step further and we can’t even blame or hold our dam Congress people accountable as we as citizens don’t stand up and force them to be accountable and represent us. We are all part of this problem as we all keep going along with it looking out for number one doing nothing about changing any of it outside most of our own family units.

Ok I’m done but I do understand both sides. But I’m absolutely never going to make a mockery or example of any one group of people. Imop that in there lies the problem within this problem. We are all so good at taking care of ourselves and pointing fingers at others.

Us humans are just so darn impressive.

Like many I don’t like any of this being a working. I’ve been fighting since my first job in the trades “16” to be compensAted a fair living wage fully under the belief that my skill set is as worthy of a decent life as anyone doing anything looking to make ends meet.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-02-2019 at 6:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Yes, it seems the rare discussion that can be complete without the need to identify a villain. Too bad, and usually unnecessary.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 11-02-2019 at 6:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have been in several that were state of the art.

Around here, some have pole power, some run off a generator, combination of hydraulic drives, air, or line shafts. Interesting how each church allows something different.
    They take technology a little at a time. I find it interesting...