Thread: KING CANADA KC-203C Jointer Thoughts

Question KING CANADA KC-203C Jointer Thoughts

Howdy everyone, my local tool shop has started carrying a load of King Canada power tools, in lieu of many other brands. I am shopping for a new jointer and am looking at the KING CANADA KC-203C. My biggest hesitation is that while researching I have found that there is almost no information or reviews about King Canada brand online. I don't want to invest money in inferior tools, but I also don't want to shop online and wait a month for shipping (working on Christmas gifts). Does anyone have experience with this model or brand? Anything I can do to ease my concerns over lack of internet info?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    They look to be generic Chinese machines. Quality, fit, and finish does not appear to be great, but no worse than any other of the numerous brands that are selling these. I've not had user experience with them though.

You might want to search the forum of Canadian Woodworking mag (hope I'm allowed to mention that here!); May not find info on that specific machine but likely there will be posts on customer service/quality, etc.

Hartville Hardware in Ohio has started to sell a number of King's machines, and HH tends to stick with good quality suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Hartville Hardware in Ohio has started to sell a number of King's machines, and HH tends to stick with good quality suppliers.
    That's the hardware store I was mentioning

Pretty well the same as Busy bee, Grizzly, and Magnun tools from KMS tools. All Asian origin a lot from the same factories.

The driving force behind King is Peter Kennedy. Have known him for quite a few years and he was sales mgr with General Intl until the new owners came along. His strong point is his honesty and belief that service is a priority. The fact that Hartville and Keim Lumber in Charm are his clients speaks volumes of his credibility. If you have never been to either of these stores they are the Mecca for woodworkers.

Brian

I have a bandsaw from King, and my old neighbour had both a jointer and bandsaw.
    My bandsaw is, ok, but I don't have a lot of comparison because I never had another bandsaw.
    I like the fact it has bearings instead of blocks, I find the tensioning a little annoying, but it turns on when I need it on, and shuts off when I hit the button.
    It's a copy of the 14" Delta and the riser block works well for me. The fence sucks. Shrug.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up finding a great Craigslist deal on a Jet 8" jointer and went that route. I will keep the King info in mind for the future though. Also, it seems like there is a decent number of Ohio folks here, so hello from Akron!

Right back at ya Mike, from Richfield.