Thread: Miter Saw Dust Hood Recommendations / Fast Cap or Rousseau?

Miter Saw Dust Hood Recommendations / Fast Cap or Rousseau?

I am in need of dust collection for my miter saw. I had recently had to down size from my garage shop which had a complete cyclone system (sold) and now have a temporary basement shop. Currently I do not have any dust control. I do plan to utilize some shop vac’s that I have and plan on using them for different tools. In some of my reviews of miter saw dust collection I came across these miters saw dust hoods. They seem to get pretty good reviews from the web but I thought I would ask here on the site to see if anyone has used them or has them. Basically, I only see these two brands and each has two models. Please let me know what your thoughts are on these units and if you have any experience with them. I have my currant saw on a portable SUV stand and was reviewing that I would not need a vacuum for these hoods. Any recommendations or experiences would be appreciated.

Fast Cap PRO
    Fast Cap original
    Rousseau 5000
    Rousseau 5000L

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...vhcIjQE&adurl=

https://www.fastcap.com/product/chopshop-saw-hood

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...&ictx=3&uact=3

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...vhcInQE&adurl=
    Last edited by richard poitras; 10-31-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard,
    I have the Rousseau on a sliding compound miter saw. It my case, the saw fits very tight against the wall and the shroud actually gets in the way when changing the miter and the side brackets are a little fussy. It does seem to catch most of the dust and I guess if you have plenty of room behind it it might be fine, especially if you move the saw often. In my case, i think I am going to ditch it and just build something with plywood. Not sure if that helps. Stevo

I have a Rousseau on my 12 slider. I modified it to have a 6" duct connection to improve the air flow. The issue with all those style hoods is that it is difficult to get enough air velocity across the wide opening to adequately capture the dust. They all do a decent job of getting the dust that is thrown backward, but if you've ever used one out in the sun you know a lot of dust gets thrown up and out. Many folks modify the stock hoods or build their own so they can having sliding doors or plastic strips that close off the big openings and that really helps.

When I use mine at a job site or outside, I just put a bucket under the discharge port, and it certainly captures the big stuff, but you still get a cloud of fine dust around the saw.

I find the rousseau a little fiddly, like Stevo mentioned. It takes some fussing to get the brackets set up so they don't interfere with the fence movements. But one you have it set and tight, it's fairly quick and easy to remove the shroud from the brackets to transport the saw. It does have a huge open face that limits dust collection efficiency as I mentioned above.

Stevo, Thanks for the info. It does sound that it would work for my temporary environment as I don’t want anything permanent and can be used easily.

Paul, sounds like you are satisfied as well for what they are. I know they are not going to get everything but I do need to do something for my situation.

Did you guys consider the Fast cap hood and / or why did you get the Rousseau over the fast cap?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by stevo wis View Post
    Richard,
    I have the Rousseau on a sliding compound miter saw.

In my case, i think I am going to ditch it and just build something with plywood. Not sure if that helps. Stevo

Stevo if you are going to ditch it I may be interested.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard,

I did look at the fast cap hood. I chose the Rousseau because it had a port for dust collector hookup and also because the open front area of the fast cap is even larger than the rousseau so I thought the Rousseau would contain more of the dust from the slider. If you're not going to connect to a collector it's probably more of a toss-up.

I have the Fast Cap hood....I thought I would try it as found one on CL for $50. It is better than no hood, but there is no dust collection port and the attachment to the saw is awkward.....one of the difficulties in trying to make a product fit every saw out there. In general I like Fast Cap products, but this hood could use some re-engineering, IMHO.

Pretty cool hoods, but I can't imagine any of them would be any good with just a shop vac connected. Also, you'd want the collection to run for a minute after the saw stops to clear the hood and to gather some of the dust that is hanging just outside of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Pretty cool hoods, but I can't imagine any of them would be any good with just a shop vac connected. Also, you'd want the collection to run for a minute after the saw stops to clear the hood and to gather some of the dust that is hanging just outside of it.
    Tom I agree but I don't have the option of a dust collector at this time,
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006