Thread: Is there a good source for Basswood?

Is there a good source for Basswood?

Hi folks.
    I just started chip carving. Bought a Pfeil knife, Barton's book and a 4"x6"x18" slab of Basswood. I've been resawing it into 3/8" x 4" practice boards as I need them. Oddly, I don't find any sources online for slabs of Basswood this size - most are smaller.

The piece I got came from Woodcraft but with shipping and tax it was close to $50. Does anyone have a better source?

Thank you!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you live near a large city you should be able to find a hardwood lumber company. They should have it for a lot less than a place like woodcraft would sell for.

As far as carving, I think white pine or spruce carves about as easy as basswood.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    ... Does anyone have a better source? ...
    I'm not a big consumer, but I remember Heinecke Wood Products being regularly recommended as THE go to source for basswood. (They aren't a sophisticated online presence, call or email to order, but they do have a website: Heinecke Wood Products )

+1 on Heinecke.

Also good source for Northern basswood:

George Bledsoe at: http://www.loesshillssawmill.com/contact-us.html

Same quality wood for less!
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

I ordered from Heinecke, 2", 3" and 4" thick planks, each 4' long, shipped UPS at a reasonable price. The wood is perfect - good color no defects. It was a lot cheaper per board foot than buying basswood from a local carving shop. I can't imagine buying wood from Woodcraft!

I cut this up into pieces as needed. I have mostly been making glue-ups with other woods such as cherry to turn for chip carving. Made a number of chip-carved Christmas ornaments too.

BTW, I read in one of the books for better chip carving don't let the wood get too dry. I keep the wood upright and put a large plastic bag over it.

JKJ

Thanks for the ssources and your advice folks. Much appreciated!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”