Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm looking at pulling the "trigger"

Will,
    I have drilled lots of holes (into plywood) using my cnc router table. It has a variable speed spindle with a range from 8000 to 24000 rpm. The main thing is that I am limited to drill bits or cutting tools that will fit into one of the collets. Of course smaller router bits can be used to make larger holes using circular interpolation. I have 4 sizes of collets: 1/8",1/4" 3/8", and 1/2". I have seen others who have mounted a second Z-axis slide and installed a variable speed electric drill for slower speeds when drilling into metal.
    David

Thx for the information guys...
    Interesting on drilling holes. I would think having the ability to drill any size holes and countersinks a valuable feature if you want to make cabinet parts, box parts, etc.
    Assuming you need to change out the collet, cutter, drill size for each task, it would prob. defeat the time saving benefits of CNC, i.e. when u want, cutting, mortising, drilling, edging, in the same piece. Is this a fair assessment?

I know metal CNC machines have multiple cutter heads, so u place the material down, and each cutter does its task with no user intervention. I assume for wood CNC machines, this type of sophistication is only available on the larger machines costly machines?

What are you calling larger and more costly? $100k + yes I they have some with multiple heads. For big machine (4x8 or 5x10) for many cabinet makers would have an ATC (automatic tool changer) spindle. I am in the process of setting one up on my 4X8. Bits are mounted in toolholders and there are multiple toolholders mounted in tool racks on the machine. The software tells it what tool is needed and the spindle moves to the tool and grabs it. Once that tool is finished, it replaces it in the rack and then takes the next tool. It can take around 20 seconds to change tools. Of course this costs more initially but you don't need it unless you are running some kind of production line where every minute counts.

Since this thread is about the Shapeoko here is a link that shows one with an ATC spindle on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pYBxHrRt34

wow, that is cool Bobby, thx for link...
    this seems to be the Nomad version of the Shapeoko, very impressive for the price.
    I was not aware these lower priced smaller wood CNC offered ATC, gosh, that can wet your appetite.
    Of course, the NOmad has a 8x8x3" work space, so for for very small pieces.
    I better stop digging, or I will end up buying one... impressive how fast technology is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    I better stop digging, or I will end up buying one... impressive how fast technology is moving.
    "You will be assimilated..."
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow! I took the day off from work in case they need my help.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Party time at the Peacock shop!!!

And then you get to sort your nuts and bolts and check them twice... ...seriously, take your time with the assembly. Accuracy is critical and the closer to "perfect" you get during assembly, the better your results are going to be when you start cutting with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...